Do you intend to apply for a new storekeeper position, or have you been considering getting into storekeeping? Well, we have something for you. As the name implies, a storekeeper manages the general and departmental-specific daily store activities, such as receiving supplies and inventory control. Moat importantly, note that you must have the perfect resume to land a storekeeper position.
This article will look at some of the roles and responsibilities of storekeepers, complete with the accompanying requirements and skills. We will then review two well-written resumes to act as a guide to preparing yours. We advise you to take some time and note our resume formatting and other specifics. Let’s get started.
As we mentioned at the beginning of the article, a storekeeper manages general and specific daily store activities such as receiving and distributing supplies, managing inventory, and processing postings. They are generally hired in retail stores, stockrooms, and a range of other settings that deal with inventories. Owing to the roles and responsibilities of storekeepers, they are required to be physically strong and in perfect health condition. Let’s look at these roles and responsibilities to better understand this role.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintaining accurate sales records
- Ensuring that this store has the right quantity of inventories at any particular time
- Managing and training the existing store staff
- Participating in product marketing by organizing promotional campaigns for new products
- Keeping the store clean and organized at all times
- Managing the packing, labeling, pricing, and returning of supplies
- Listening to and mediating any conflicts between warehouse employees, such as staff and clients
- Processing all sales transactions through computerized cash register systems and manual means
- Conducting physical inventory counts to account for all the goods at the end of given periods
- Reporting inventory levels and other data to help make or make purchase decisions.
- Receiving new shipments and getting them ready for sale
- Ensuring that shelves are properly stocked with merchandise
- Recording accurate purchase orders
- Ensuring excellent supplier relations and maintaining extremely high ethical relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Shipping damaged and canceled items back to the suppliers
- Overseeing the movement of equipment and managing freight
- Tracking, documenting, and resolving order-related errors
- Ensuring that the inventory system is accurate through regular updates of records
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent inventory management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Outstanding leadership skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Good organizational skills
- Extensive product knowledge
- Knowledge of all storekeeping procedures and techniques
- Extensive cash handling skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent team working ability
- Excellent conflict management skills
- Reporting skills
Education and Experience
- At least a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Though optional, an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in retail, business, or any other related field
- Experience working in the retail setting
- Proven experience as a storekeeper
- Experience working in team settings
- Inventory management experience
Storekeepers are paid relatively well, with certain sources estimating that the least paid storekeepers make roughly $21 an hour. Glassdoor estimates the basic pay of a storekeeper to be roughly $ 40,000 dollars a year, with additional payments amounting to close to $36,000 a year. Those who progress to become store managers easily make close to $68,000 a year, while the senior ones earn close to $80,000 yearly.
Storekeeper CV Example 1
Address: 313 Suzuki Dr, Oceanside, California, 93245
Email address: email@example.com
Phone number: (896) 678-453
Qualified storekeeper with 10+ years of experience. A highly-motivated professional with excellent inventory management and reporting skills. A leader with extensive cash handling skills and product knowledge. An informed and supportive team member is willing to take inventory management to a new level.
05/2019- 08/22, Storekeeper, Sanlam Stores, Bakersfield, CA
- Contributed to the store’s online customer rating of 4.9 stars by keeping it clean and organized at all times
- Mediated 30+ conflicts between staff members and staff and clients, finding amicable solutions at the end
- Actively participated in the marketing of new products by planning 50+ promotional campaigns for our new offerings
- Supervised 13 store employees, ensuring that they were well-motivated and able to meet targets
- Trained 10+ store employees on different sales and inventory management techniques, ensuring that the entity’s workforce was well-versed with store processes
- Implemented a new inventory management system that saved the store 80% of the time initially used in physical inventory maintenance
- Interacted with customers regarding the store layout and rearranged the store based on their input, receiving 90% positive customer feedback
- Improved customer satisfaction by 30% by incorporating new store-keeping technologies such as service lanes
- Participated in the hiring and training of 50+ casual employees, keeping them productive at all times
- Maintained an excellent relationship with 20+ store vendors for the fast delivery of goods and easier return of defective ones
- Updated stock inventory regularly and ensured that maximum and minimum levels were maintained to avoid customer disappointments
- Received shipments and spent an average of 2 hours daily inspecting them to ensure that we didn’t stock defective goods
- Actively maintained the automated supply database, ensuring that stock levels were 100% accurate
- Followed 100% of the established guidelines and store procedures when initiating orders to replace sold stock
03/15- 05/18, Storekeeper, Rareview Dental Clinic, LA
- Ensured that the dental storeroom was adequately stocked 100% of the time with the help of a new inventory control program
- Maintained 30+ equipment inventory within the dental clinic storeroom, ensuring that they were functional and ready to use
- Spent at least three hours daily handling incoming and outgoing orders through shipping and receiving processes
- Input data into different machines, i.e., the handheld scanner and later the computer
- Trained 20+ new storeroom employees, ensuring that they were conversant with the dental clinic’s processes and procedures
- Spent at least an hour on monitoring duties, e.g., monitoring the billing and recharge systems
- Ensured that the general department and special purchasing accounts were reconciled at the end of the day
- Implemented a new filing system that reduced files misplacement by 70%
- Performed 5+ inventory-related functions in the storeroom, including inventory management, preparing required inventory forms and reports, and ordering new supplies.
02/11- 12/14, Accounts Payable Clerk, Rufus Investments Stores, LA
- Worked closely with 5+ store employees, including the manager, to ensure effective operations in the store and facility
- Generated five weekly reports showing the accounts payable status to be issued to the management
- Spent 6+ hours daily performing financial transactions and verifying, recording, and classifying accounts payable data
- Processed 20+ daily outgoing payments while complying with the set financial policies and procedures
- Ensured zero discrepancies through verification, investigation, and reconciliation of accounts and statements
- Created 100+ monthly invoices and facilitated their payment through bill reminders sent to clients and regular contacting
- Ensured that the account payable processes complied with all financial requirements such as tax and W-9
- Prepared 300+ bills, invoices, and bank deposits monthly for the store
- 09/ 2009- 09/2010, Certificate in Store Keeping, Plainview Technical Training Institute, CA
- 01/2007- 01/2009, High School Diploma, Bryant’s Senior High School, CA
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Inventory management
- Data entry
- Excellent reporting
- First Aid
Storekeeper CV Example 2
Address: 630 Norvell Street El Cerritos, California, 85430
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: (787) 678- 987
Professional storekeeper with 10+ years of experience in storekeeping and inventory management. A qualified worker with extensive cash handling and excellent communication skills. Dedicated team worker with vast experience working in retail settings and handling cash. A go-getter with extensive product knowledge and outstanding organizational skills.
06/18- 08/22, Store Keeper, Chance Retail Store, Bakersfield, CA
- Ensured efficient operation in 5 areas, i.e., shipping areas, receiving areas, stock issue stations, supply store rooms, and warehouses
- Oversaw 30+ employees, ensuring that they were well-motivated and productive
- Maintained excellent relationships with 10+ vendors, ensuring that the company received goods in time.
- Trained 20+ new hires, improving their performance by 30% in the first quarter
- Maintained consistent interaction with 10+ vendors for easier returning of damaged goods
- Implemented a new online filing system that improved record management by 70%
- Improved customer satisfaction by 30% through dedicated tracking of lost or misdelivered packages
- Received 20+ bulk shipments daily and ensured that they were stored properly in the warehouse
- Performed 5+ general office and administrative duties, including filing
- Liaised with the cleaning department to ensure that the store was clean and well-dusted 99% of the time.
- Maintained a good working relationship with 20+ staff members for efficient stock management and storekeeping
- Adjusted the minimum and maximum par levels 10+ times a day in the automated inventory system
- Regularly ordered and received supplies, which were inspected for 100% accuracy
- Mentored three junior storekeepers, teaching them about the job environment and store policies
05/15- 05/18, Storekeeper, Jonathan Inventories, Chicago, Illinois
- Maintained a clean and safe work environment following OSHA standards, bringing down time lost due to safety hazards by 30%
- Carefully trained new hires on the right use of different store equipment and tools, increasing overall productivity by 12%
- Streamlined the ordering process by using an Excel spreadsheet to track stock numbers and usage rates, saving the company $5000 in labor costs
- Managed a yearly budget of $70,000, actively tracking expenditures and making adjustments where necessary.
- Created and maintained good relationships with 15+ vendors, leading to timely shipment delivery and faster response to order discrepancies.
- Performed 5+ additional duties assigned by the organization’s management, including sticking shelves, cleaning, and offering customers assistance
- Directly supervised 10+ junior employees, keeping them productive at all times
- Recommended new items based on product knowledge whose sales brought in an accumulated profit of $25,000
- Implemented a new POS system that improved the tracking of daily sales results by 30%
- Attended two weekly staff meetings where I reported progress and discussed areas that needed improvement.
- Improved customer satisfaction by 10% by ensuring that the store was well-arranged at all times
06/12- 04/15, Sales Associate, Brian Bakeries, Tampa, FL
- Achieved and exceeded 98% of all the sales targets through excellent customer service and sales skills
- Worked closely with 10+ sales associates to push the entity’s products and ensure profitability.
- Mentored 20+ incoming hires, helping them understand what it means and takes to be a sales associate
- Improved customer satisfaction by 20% through the expeditious resolution of customer complaints in a professional and efficient manner
- Maintained a positive shopping experience for 1000+ daily customers by offering the much-needed assistance
- Alerted the management of 50+ potential security issues, saving the company from accompanying losses
- Consistently updated customer records to document sales for improved record keeping
- Participated in 30+ teams, mandated with promoting new products to customers
- Actively listened to customers and made recommendations based on their needs and preferences, increasing their satisfaction by 30%
- Interacted with 50+ customers daily, ensuring that their shopping experiences were positive
- 01/2008- 04/2011, Diploma in Warehousing and Inventory Management, Barstow Community College, Bakersfield
- 01/2005-11/2007, High School Diploma, Rosewood High School, Bakersfield
- Inventory management skills
- Data entry skills
- MS Excel
- MS Word
- First Aid skills
- Common office operation
- Excellent driving skills
- Ability to work in team settings
- Ability to collaborate with other professionals
Storekeeper Resume Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Which Technical Skills Do I Need to Have in My Resume?
Even though soft skills such as customer service and exceptional Interpersonal skills are necessary for this position, you should also know in the back of your mind that technical skills are mandatory. Therefore, when writing your resume, ensure that you indicate skills such as inventory management, proper bookkeeping, common office equipment operation, and driving skills. Note that some stores or warehouses may need you to be skilled in operating heavy machinery such as the forklift, so look at the job posting before applying. You can also add data entry skills needed in inventory management.
2. Do I Need a Given Level of Education to Be a Storekeeper?
One of the pros of storekeeping is that it doesn’t have a strict education requirement. You can be an excellent storekeeper and even progress to store management with your high school diploma or GED. Most employers only require their hire to have at least a high school diploma or equivalent. All in all, you should make a conscious move despite having a job and get an associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in retail, business, or any other related field. Such qualifications will come in handy when aiming for high-level store management, which you shouldn’t miss out on.
3. What Are Some of the Keywords I Should Have in My Storekeeper Resume?
Certain keywords should be included in your storekeeper’s resume if you intend to get past the applicant tracking system of the hiring company. Note that all these keywords should be related to storekeeping and spread evenly across the work experience section. Your store manager expects to see inventory, management, entrepreneurial, integrity, coordination, customer-oriented, customer-focused, self-motivated, positive attitude, merchandise, store operation, sales, time management, inventory control, retail, stock, warehousing, identification tags, data processing, daily operations, logistics, line items, purchase cards among many others.
4. Do I Need Data Entry Skills to Be a Good Storekeeper?
Yes. You must have excellent data entry skills as a storekeeper and even indicate that in your resume. You will be required to feed data into the company’s system using the computer, which calls for typing. Note that your job doesn’t stop at data entry since you might be called upon to authenticate the data you have just entered. Therefore, ensure that you pay great attention to details, or you won’t survive for long. You must be ready to spend several hours before the store’s computer feeding inventory-related data.
5. What Are Some Storekeeping Trends To Have in Mind When Preparing Your Storekeeper Resume?
A good storekeeper’s resume should capture current trends to tell the interviewer that you are highly adaptable, a skill needed in retail. Therefore you can show that you’re conversant with trends such as the growth of online shopping when writing your resume. The impacts of this trend can be felt in the retail setting. It has also pressured storekeepers to develop new ways of attracting customers. You should also consider the rising use of technology in stores to improve customer experience. Some common technologies used in storekeeping include electronic shelf labels and self-check-out lanes, which you are conversant with. Lastly, your resume should reflect more on customer experience, another growing trend. Getting your dream job shouldn’t be hard if your resume is that specific.
6. What Are The Advancement Prospects For A Storekeeper?
We all want to advance in our careers, so it’s understandable if you are worried about the advancement prospects in storekeeping. Like any other role, storekeeping allows you to occupy bigger positions with more responsibilities. You will be promoted to an assistant store manager, store manager, or an entire department manager if you work hard and show commitment. As we mentioned, such roles come with more responsibility; therefore, you should demonstrate excellent leadership ability and commitment to the company. All in all, work hard with a vision in mind.