All company products and services must meet the required quality standards before reaching the market, which calls for the services of a quality assurance team headed by the quality manager. A quality manager is expected to understand all customer expectations and needs, develop effective quality control processes, and clearly define quality standards. They also evaluate internal production processes to ensure that they are flawless.
We will look at the roles and responsibilities of quality managers and the accompanying educational, experience, skill, and knowledge requirements to help you familiarize yourself with this position. We also have two resume examples and a FAQ section that should help answer any questions you have in quality manager resumes. Let’s find out more about this role and what you need to include in your resume.
Quality Manager Job Description
As the name implies, a quality manager ensures that products meet both company and industry standards by using a range of inspection, testing, and evaluation methods. As part and leaders of quality assurance departments, they collect and analyze data on the inspection process and different aspects of production on top of delivering quality service that meets company needs.
To succeed in this role, quality managers need in-depth knowledge of company products and general offerings and an eye for detail. It further requires excellent leadership and management skills, owing to the accompanying responsibilities.
Quality Manager Roles and Responsibilities
- Developing effective quality control processes based on customer requirements, needs, and federal, state, and local regulations
- Inspecting final output and comparing their properties to requirements before releasing them to customers
- Preparing and submitting detailed quality control and management reports to the right business executives
- Performing statistical analysis
- Ensuring that production/manufacturing processes adhere to the right health and safety guidelines
- Ensuring that production meets all legal obligations
- Coming up with and reviewing specifications for both products and processes
- Approving the right products after a thorough inspection and rejecting defectives
- Looking out for improvement opportunities for quality products and services
- Developing new efficient procedures to be used in production and manufacturing
- Assessing whether customer requirements have been met by obtaining regular feedback
- Identifying deviations from normal quality standards through thorough oversight of product development procedures
- Conducting thorough supervision of technicians, inspectors, and other staff members
- Offering guidance and feedback to the production, manufacturing, or quality assurance departments
- Working closely with suppliers and monitoring their compliance with raw materials and intermediate products requirements
- Closely monitoring and evaluating internal production processes
- Regularly writing and presenting statistical reports on quality standards to management
- Properly managing waste and improving production efficiency
- Thoroughly evaluating production recalls with the quality assurance/management team
Quality Manager Required Knowledge and Skills
- In-depth knowledge of company products, services and general offerings
- Extensive understanding of relevant legal standards and quality control procedures
- Working knowledge of statistical and data analysis methods
- Familiarity with quality processes and standards
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations surrounding quality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Outstanding reporting skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to think critically
- Excellent analysis skills
- Excellent math and numerical skills
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
- Proficiency in MS Office, i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- A keen eye for detail
- Ability to work well in team settings
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A results-driven approach
- Excellent organizational skills
- Outstanding leadership skills
- Effective stress management skills
- Quality planning skills
- Outstanding quality monitoring skills
Quality Manager Education and Experience
- Proven experience as a quality manager or in a relevant role
- Proven professional experience in production and manufacturing
- Proven supervision experience for career advancement
- Bachelor of Science/Art in Business Administration, Natural Sciences, Statistics, Quality Assurance, or a related field
- A Master’s degree in the above-mentioned fields for future job growth
- Quality control certification, such as ISO 9000
Quality Manager Salary
According to Glassdoor, the average salary of quality managers in the United States, as obtained from submitted data, is $96,000, which is a base and additional payment of $76,000+ and 19000+, respectively. Lead quality managers make more, with a reported average of roughly $102,000, while senior quality managers are the highest paid, with an average of roughly $122,000.
Quality Manager CV Example 1
Physical address: 10 Heritage CT Roanoke, Texas 78987
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: (654) 789- 7890
ISO 9000/14000 certified quality manager with 10+ years of experience working in quality assurance teams in both national and international organizations. Experienced manager and planner ready to develop excellent quality control processes based on customer needs and requirements. A vibrant team worker with working knowledge of effective statistical and data analysis methods.
03/2009- 08/2022, Senior Quality Manager, Blessed Holdings, Tampa, Florida
- Reduced quality-related complaints from customers by 90% within six months
- Improved the development process of all company products by introducing QS 9000 and APQP tools
- Organized and delivered two monthly safety training sessions for 150+ company employees
- Ensured 100% compliance with OSHA safety guidelines and procedures
- Applied lean manufacturing principles to manufacturing and production processes, reducing shipping and packaging errors by 70%
- Managed, supervised and led a 15-member quality assurance team
- Increased general productivity by 30% by mentoring and offering specialized training to team members unable to meet productivity standards
- Successfully tracked and improved quality levels by implementing an effective quality control process audit
- Collaborated with the company executives to create an incentive program for employees who exceeded set productivity quotas, leading to a 88% improvement in productivity
- Organized quality assurance plans and successfully coordinated quality control testing for 70+ projects and test cases yearly
- Submitted regular reports to the 6-member executive management team after detailed analysis, summary and interpretation of collected data
- Decreased possible detrimental quality oversights by 75% through identification of all the critical process indicators for main process areas
- Regularly interacted with clients to understand their needs and requirements for successful development of quality control processes and techniques, increasing their overall satisfaction rate by 10%
01/2016- 02/2019, Assistant Quality Manager, Blue View Solutions, Houston, Texas
- Worked closely with the quality manager and the quality assurance team to ensure 150+ employees complied with company policies and procedures
- Collaborated with top executives and management to develop 25+ new quality control processes and procedures
- Successfully acted as a liaison between management and five company departments, e.g., engineering and manufacturing
- Attended and participated in 3 weekly staff meetings focused on quality issues and concerns
- Liaised with the Human Resource Department to conduct thorough investigations into complaints regarding safety issues and offer the right solutions
- Participated in quarterly and annual internal audits and investigations to successfully identify problems and successfully implement corrective measures
- Named the best assistant manager of the year in 2018 for exemplary performance
- Mentored five junior quality assurance officers on effective methods, techniques and best practices for overall performance improvement
08/2013- 12/2016, Quality Assurance Officer, El Paso Logistics, Texas
- Regularly audited company policies to ensure 100% compliance with both state and federal laws
- Actively monitored the performance of 50+ staff members to ensure effective job performance
- Monitored employee performance in liaison with the Human Resource department to ensure 100% compliance with both industry standards and regulations
- Improved company operation efficiency by an average of 30% by researching and implementing new technologies for operation improvement
- Ensured that all the 50+ monthly customer complaints were resolved within record time
- Named the best quality assurance officer in 2015 for exemplary performance
- Promoted to a senior quality assurance officer by the end of 2015
- Trained 10+ junior quality assurance officers on QA techniques, methodologies and best practices for improved performance and productivity
04/2008- 06/2012, Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration, University of Houston, Houston, TX
03/2005- 05/2007, Gertrudes Senior High School, El Paso, Texas
- Quality monitoring
- Continuous improvement
- Lean manufacturing
- MS Office Suite
- Decision making
- Active listening
- 08/2018, Project Management Professional
- 05/16, Six Sigma Greenbelt Certification
Quality Manager CV Example 2
Physical address: 1203 W Hawk Dr, Decatur, TX, 76890
Email address: email@example.com
Phone number: (456) 786-5698
Senior quality assurance professional with 10+ years of experience in general quality assurance practice and management. Highly skilled and certified professional with a Master Quality Manager Certification ready to revolutionize the quality assurance department for the organization’s benefit. A Six Sigma Green Belt with in-depth knowledge of quality management techniques and procedures
03/2019- 08/2022, Quality Manager, John & Richards Company Ltd, Dallas, TX
- Successfully reviewed specifications for ten existing company products in collaboration with the quality assurance and management teams
- Ensured 100% compliance with safety guidelines and legal obligations through regular monitoring and training
- Increased customer satisfaction rate from 75% to 90% by obtaining regular feedback from customers to ascertain whether their requirements had been met and acting on it
- Prepared 100% accurate documentation using Microsoft Office Suite programs such as Excel and Word
- Developed new efficient procedures with the help of the quality assurance team, improving general productivity by 30%
- Promoted to senior quality manager in charge of 5 departments in 2021
- Used DMAIC Methodologies to successfully eliminate 70% of manufacturing waste, meeting the company’s waste management goals
- Ensured that all audits and configuration management processes were in tune with ISO directives and requirements
- Named the best quality professional in 2021, which led to a promotion
02/2016- 03/2019, Quality Assurance Specialist, Quality Manufacturers Inc, Houston, TX
- Collaborated with a 5-member quality assurance team to prepare and implement effective QA procedures and policies
- Performed routine monthly inspections and quality tests and prepared 100% accurate records based on results
- Worked closely with 150+ employees to identify and resolve both production and workflow issues
- Ensured that employees observed 100% of all the company standards and safety regulations
- Worked closely with five senior managers and executives, successfully discussing and addressing quality management issues
- Carefully created and polished operating manuals and training materials for 150+ employees
- Created audit reports in collaboration with the 5-member quality assurance team
08/2013- 08/2015, Quality Assurance Intern, Best Solutions, El Paso, TX
- Worked under the supervision of the senior quality specialist to ensure 100% compliance with organizational standards and safety regulations
- Retained as a quality assurance consultant upon the expiry of my internship
- Assisted in the creation of training materials and operation manuals for 100+ company employees
- Trained and mentored three junior quality assurance interns on company procedures and quality assurance techniques
- Participated in the documentation of quality assurance activities in liaison with the quality assurance specialist
- 03/2009- 05/2013, Bachelor in Quality Management, Volga State University of Technology, Yoshkar-Ola, Russia
- 03/2006- 05/2008, Gems College Preparatory School, El Paso, TX
- Continuous improvement
- Customer service
- Six Sigma
- MS Office Suite
- Quality monitoring
- Decision making
- Verbal and written communication
- Critical thinking
- Active listening
- 08/2020, Master Quality Manager Certification
- 05/2017, Six Sigma Green Belt
Quality Manager Resume Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Which Keywords Should I Use in My Quality Manager Resume?
You should use certain job-related terminologies in your resume regardless of the job you are applying for. Note that hiring managers have certain skills and competencies they want in employees. It is also a good way to optimize your resume to avoid the wrath of Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS), which most HR departments have used over the years.
To be on the safer side, make sure that you mention the following: quality management, quality assurance, compliance, quality system, quality control, ISO 9001, supplier quality, management, project management, lean manufacturing, good manufacturing practice, continuous improvement, quality auditing, Failure Mode and Effects Analysis, Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points, facilitation, collaboration, statistics, quality assurance team, Six Sigma, internal audit, documentation, ISO, calibration, assembly line, root cause analysis, quality management systems, MS Office, etc.
These keywords can be skills or specific tools needed in your job.
2. What’s the Best Way to Add My Skillset to My Quality Manager Resume?
Before adding your skills to your quality manager resume, take some time to closely review the particular job posting. Ascertain all the skills the employer is looking for, both soft and hard, just like we have done in our resumes. Do not forget to add industry skills such as ISO 9001 and quality systems.
We also advise you to find a way of incorporating certain skills, such as Failure Mode and Effects Analysis, into your work experience section to prove to the hiring manager that you are proficient in different tools and techniques. Lastly, as a quality manager, you must be committed to training and mentoring employees, so you better list a few accomplishments that denote training your team members or stakeholders. Ensure your resume captures all the needed skills before applying for that job.
3. What are Some of the Technical Skills I Should Add to My Resume?
Technical skills are mandatory in such a position. A manager should be experienced and highly skilled, which means that, unlike in entry-level jobs, you don’t have the liberty to gain role-specific skills over time. Therefore, remember to include the following in your final resume: the ability to ensure compliance, continuous improvement skills, excellent project management skills, ability to meet customer needs, excellent auditing skills, outstanding oversight skills, Six Sigma, a proper understanding of good manufacturing practice, excellent analysis skills, proper planning skills, excellent quality monitoring skills, numerical skills, reporting skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite program.
As we mentioned, take some time to review the job description and tailor your skills towards it. Remember to subdivide your skill section into technical and soft skills for better readability. Also, indicate your skills in the work experience section.
4. Which are the Best Certifications to Pursue a Richer Resume?
Every organization wants employees who are committed to professional development and enhancement. Therefore, remember to obtain as many role-specific certifications as possible to enjoy an advantage over other job applicants. Here are some of your options:
- Six Sigma Green Belt Certification, offered by the International Association of Six Sigma Certification. It teaches the standard principles of Lean and the interpretation of Six Sigma tools.
- Master Quality Manager (MQM) certification, offered by the American Academy of Project Management and has a renewal period of two years
- Lead Auditor Certification, which offers knowledge on the assessment of main environmental aspects and operational controls
- Project Management Professional, which proves the ability to manage projects to fruition
Other certifications worth considering include Certified Quality Assurance Professional (CQAP), Master Project Manager (MPM), Certified Manager Certification (CMC), Certified Manager of Quality/ Organizational Excellence (CMQ/QE), etc. All in all, ensure that you have something to add to your academic qualifications.
5. Which Soft Skills Should I Include in My Resume?
Soft skills are needed for effective employee interaction for the company’s overall success. Common soft skills include verbal and written communication, organizational skills, the ability to work well under pressure, time management, interpersonal skills, creative thinking, stress management, conflict management skills, excellent leadership skills, resourcefulness, persuasion, and active listening, among many others.