There are certain standards that company products and processes must meet for customer satisfaction and regulatory compliance. Quality engineers are therefore needed to identify problems and shortfalls, engineer corrective measures, and implement quality control systems to that effect. They also test systems and procedures and recommend solutions capable of improving product durability and performance.
Our article will explore the roles and responsibilities of quality engineers and the different requirements, i.e., education, experience, skills, and industry-specific knowledge. We also have two resume examples that should guide you as you prepare relevant documentation for your upcoming job application. Don’t forget to go through the FAQs section, which answers some of the common questions in quality engineer resumes. Let’s get started!
Quality Engineer Job Description
A quality engineer monitors and improves the quality of an organization’s processes and outputs. These professionals develop quality control systems, determine and implement corrective actions, design quality standards and inspect materials. They also work closely with managers and supervisors to successfully implement quality measures.
To succeed in this role, they need excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, the ability to ensure compliance with quality standards, and interpersonal skills. A good quality engineer must also have excellent diagnosis and troubleshooting skills.
Quality Engineer Roles and Responsibilities
- Auditing systems based on different requirements, e.g., ISO 9001: 2015
- Working closely with operations managers and supervisors to design and implement quality controls and improvements
- Developing and implementing quality standards in liaison with the quality assurance/ management team
- Monitoring the production cycle to ensure compliance with quality standards and requirements
- Determining quality metrics for manufacturing processes
- Liaising with internal teams to improve product quality and increase customer satisfaction
- Ensuring legal compliance with legal and industrial regulations in collaboration with external quality assurance auditors and professionals
- Updating the organization’s quality management system
- Organizing and conducting regular tests to identify and correct potential malfunctions
- Ensuring that all electrical systems and product materials are performing well
- Preparing the right documentation to report on malfunctions and corrective actions
- Ensuring safety regulations compliance by all processes, products, and workflows
- Developing and implementing quality control systems in collaboration with the quality assurance team
- Performing routine inspection and testing to ensure meeting of quality standards
- Regularly reviewing specifications, codes, and processes
- Setting and tracking quality assurance goals
- Performing root cause analysis to identify the genesis of technical issues and making the right adjustments
- Ensuring conformity and accuracy in production processes through the implementation of working systems
- Increasing business productivity through strategic plan formulation
- Brainstorming the right ideas aimed at finding solutions for product and process problems
- Participating in general product improvement initiatives in liaison with the quality assurance team and the right departments
- Reviewing organizational blueprints and quality documentation
Quality Engineer Required Knowledge and Skills
- Proficiency in systems operations and computer technology
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of Microsoft Office Program Suite
- Knowledge of industry market conditions and trends
- Ability to perform accurate statistical analysis
- Technical documentation skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Outstanding problem-solving skills
- Ability to thrive in team settings
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- High attention to details
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Basic Math/ Arithmetic skills
- Excellent Information Technology (IT) skills
Quality Engineer Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Industrial, Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or any relevant field
- Additional certifications in quality assurance (not mandatory, but a plus)
- Experience using Quality Management Systems (QMS)
- Master’s degree in Engineering or Quality Management (preferred, though not mandatory for non-management positions)
- Proven experience working in a quality assurance environment
- Proven coding experience
- Experience using different quality assurance tools and processes
- Proven experience in quality engineering, quality assurance, or working in a similar role
- Experience participating in different projects
Quality engineers are among the highest paid quality assurance or planning team members. According to Glassdoor, junior quality engineers make $84,000+ yearly, which is way higher than most junior employees in other positions. Lead quality engineers make $120,000+ yearly, while senior quality engineers earn up to $140,000- showing just how lucrative this job gets as you climb the ladder. This is a lucrative field worth pursuing.
Quality Engineer CV Example 1
Physical address: 11567 W Dahlia Drive, El Mirage, Arizona (AZ), 82354
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: (380) 965-7890
Certified quality engineer with 10+ years of experience identifying flaws, developing corrective measures, and implementing quality control systems in manufacturing and processing industries. Excellent project manager with vast experience using quality assurance tools, ready to push the organization to the next level. Experienced problem solver and communicator willing to collaborate with the quality assurance and IT departments to improve the quality of the organization’s operational outputs and processes.
05/2019- 08/2022, Senior Quality Engineer, Johnson & Kiev Companies, El Mirage, Arizona
- Offered quality assurance support to a $300M manufacturing firm
- Participated in the hiring, training, and orientation of 15 quality engineers with different experience levels
- Mentored and trained 10+ junior quality engineers on policies, procedures, and best practices
- Ensured that 100+ company products met both the organization and client’s quality requirements through detailed assessments and comprehensive corrective actions
- Offered expertise and analysis support to the 10-member product development team during inspections
- Mitigated and prevented recurring defects by identifying product defect patterns through detailed data analysis
- Ensured 100% compliance with local, state, federal, and industry laws and regulations
06/2016- 02/2019, Lead Quality Engineer, Kaplan Manufacturers, Boston, MA
- Facilitated the sourcing, selection, and monitoring of suppliers for the successful launch of 150+ company products
- Regularly discussed project details and progress information with 20+ team members
- Recommended and spearheaded product changes after reviewing customer complaints and surveys, improving customer satisfaction by 30%
- Successfully developed and implemented quality assurance plans in liaison with 20+ team members
- Collaborated with five engineers and three designers to improve product quality
- Regularly interacted with suppliers to discuss and correct production issues such as material defects
- Identified and corrected issues capable of impacting quality standards through extensive product design and manufacturing research
- Used well-laid-out plans to improve processes
- Trained 10+ quality engineers and assurance officers on policies, procedures, and best practices
02/2013- 05/2016 Quality Engineer, Benson Manufacturers Inc., San Diego, CA
- Used 10+ lean tools such as Pareto charts, flow charts, control charts, and basic statistics to facilitate process improvement projects
- Mentored and trained 20+ staff members on process mapping, A3 reports, and lean tools usage
- Worked closely with five top-level executives to align all strategic plans with the business initiatives and projects
- Facilitated the training of project teams and relevant staff members on quality issues and targets in collaboration with the HR department
- Successfully implemented project strategies and goals in liaison with 25+ stakeholders
- Investigated 20+ customer complaints weekly and developed the right corrective actions
- Participated in monthly customer quality audits and acted on the findings
- Conducted root cause analysis to identify and fix repetitive issues, reducing risks by 60%
- Implemented risk-based testing approaches to mitigate project risks
- Collaborated with three different inspectors, i.e., engineering, quality control, and purchasing inspectors, to troubleshoot issues uncovered by inspections successfully
- Participated in quarterly and annual external supplier audits to improve supplier processes
- 04/2007- 06/2012, Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California
- 05/2004- 06/2006, El Mirage Senior High School, El Mirage College Preparatory School, Arizona
- Data analysis
- Continuous improvement
- System maintenance
- Quality engineering
- Quality Assurance
- Quality engineering
- Quality Management Systems
- Root cause analysis
- 06/16, Six Sigma Greenbelt, International Association of Six Sigma Association
- 06/14, Certified Quality Engineer, American Society for Quality
Quality Engineer CV Example 2
Physical address: 1160 E Windrose Dr, Scottsdale, Arizona, 83567
Email address: email@example.com
Phone number: (850) 890-6545
Experienced quality engineer with excellent analysis and troubleshooting skills, ready to monitor and improve the quality of operational outputs and processes in companies. Certified quality auditor with excellent collaboration and communication skills needed to implement quality measures. Excellent project manager with vast experience working in quality engineering and assurance teams.
06/2019- 09/2022, Senior Quality Engineer, Bradwell Height Manufacturers, Cleveland, Ohio
- Monitored and reported on 5+ quality-related KPIs, including turnaround time for quality checks
- Facilitated the effective implementation and maintenance of control plans and related documentation
- Helped the product development team adhere to the updated quality management system for quality products
- Led weekly, monthly, and quarterly comprehensive audits and developed corrective actions based on the results
- Attended 5+ annual conferences and workshops to stay updated with developing engineering and manufacturing trends capable of impacting product quality
- Prepared weekly, monthly and quarterly reports and presented them to the clients and during project meetings
- Received the most diligent worker award in 2017 for timely troubleshooting and correcting of quality issues.
04/2016- 05/2019, Quality Engineer, Chadwick Investments, Scottsdale, AZ
- Trained and mentored five junior quality engineers on the use of different quality assurance tools, troubleshooting methods, and best practices
- Participated in the redesign of the quality assurance department, improving operational efficiency by 46%
- Ensured that 98% of the projects were completed on time and below budgeted costs
- Conducted routine testing of equipment, processes, materials, and products to ensure they were at par with quality specifications
- Ensured that all workflows and processes complied with safety regulations, reducing accidents and related incidences by 90%
- Workers closely with the 15-member operations team to develop and implement effective controls and improvements
- Audited all systems based on the latest ISO requirements
- Updated the company’s Quality Management Systems with improvements, fixed and incidents
- Reduced turnaround time for quality checks by 35% by setting and tracking quality assurance goals
10/2012- 03/2016, Quality Analyst, Scotts view General, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Ensured that all products met 95%+ of user expectations during the testing process
- Investigated complaints and product issues and facilitated their timely resolution
- Prepared company-wide assurance policies and plans in liaison with five quality analysts
- Evaluated the production process and identified and remedied defects leading to a 10% increase in production efficiency
- Ensured quality assurance standards were met by implementing and monitoring corrective actions
- Trained three junior quality analysts on procedures, processes, and best practices
- Ensured 100% compliance with local, state, federal, and industry regulations
- 05/2014- 09/2016, Masters of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- 03/2007- 05/2012, Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- 05/2004- 08/2006, Scottsdale Senior High School, Scottsdale, Arizona
- Quality engineering
- Quality assurance
- Systems maintenance
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- Quality Management Systems
- Continuous improvement
- Technical analysis
- Quality control
- Root cause analysis
- Verbal and written communication
- Critical thinking
- Time management
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Active listening
- 05/15, Certified Quality Auditor, American Society for Quality
- 04/14, Certified Quality Engineer, American Society for Quality
Quality Engineer Resume Frequently Asked Questions FAQs
1. Which Certifications Apply to Quality Engineers?
Some of the certifications worth pursuing and including in your resume include:
- Six Sigma Green Belt– The Six Sigma Green Belt Certification by the International Association of Six Sigma Corporation is offered to project improvement leaders with an in-depth understanding of Lean Six Sigma methodology. These professionals must know how to use and interpret Six Sigma tools and standard Lean manufacturing principles.
- Certified Quality Engineer– The Certified Quality Engineer Certification by the American Society for Quality applies to individuals with an in-depth understanding of product and service quality control and evaluation principles. It covers various aspects, including quality control systems development and operation, human factors and motivation, development and administration of management information systems, quality systems auditing, and control practices diagnosis.
- Certified Quality Auditor- Like the second certification, the American Society for Quality offers CQA, which should be renewed every three years. It requires an in-depth understanding and familiarity with auditing standards and principles. It also covers determining quality systems deficiencies by evaluation, examination, reporting, and questioning techniques.
Other certifications worth pursuing for a better resume include Master Quality Manager by the American Academy of Certified Project Managers, Certified Quality Technician by the American Society for Quality, and Six Sigma Black Belt by the International Association for Six Sigma Certification (IASSC)
2. Which Technical Skills Should I Include in My Resume?
Engineering is a highly technical field; therefore, you need several specialized knowledge and expertise for excellent task execution. Here are a few worth including in your resume: Database administration, database maintenance, computer programming, excellent data analysis, knowledge and understanding of systems specifications, test management, bug tracking, mastery of programming languages such as Python, Java, Ruby #C, test automation, data analysis, Mathematics/ numerical skills and applies statistics.
Other additional skills worth mentioning in your profile, skills, and work experience sections include Six Sigma Green/ Black Belt, Continuous improvement, statistical process control, system maintenance, process control, technical documentation, and ISO.
Make sure you find out the specific skills the interviewer wants from the job listing and include them in your resume.
3. Which Keywords Should I Include in My Quality Engineer Resume?
There are certain skills, terminologies, job-specific tools, and technologies that you should include in your quality engineer resume to match the job listing. They will dictate whether your resume and the job listing align or not. Common examples include Kaizen, Kanban, Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, Quality control, ISO 13485, continuous improvement, Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA), geometric dimensioning & tolerancing, manufacturing, root cause analysis, Statistical Process Control (SPC), Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Manufacturers Ng engineering and Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA).
Additional keywords include quality management, quality assurance, Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), quality system, system automation, engineering, ISO 9001, quality management systems, statistics, compliance, continuous improvement process, facilitation, documentation, ISO 9000, analysis, assembly line, process improvement, quality control, and troubleshooting.
These keywords should be evenly spread in the resume header, work experience, and skill sections of your resume.
4. Which Soft Skills Should I Include in My Resume?
Succeeding as a quality engineer requires several job-related, transferable, and soft skills. The latter determines employee relationships and must be included in an interview-worthy job resume. Good examples include:
- Decision-making- This is often required when implementing action plans and deciding whether or not to initiate process improvement processes
- Teamwork- Quality engineers work with factory workers, project managers, and the entire engineering team to create and maintain quality products
- Verbal and written communication- A quality engineer should be able to communicate information both verbally and in written form, basically reports.
Other soft skills worth including in your resume include the ability to multitask, excellent problem-solving skills, readiness and willingness to learn new information, excellent presentation skills, and attention to detail.
5. Which Industries Need Quality Engineers?
Quality engineers work in manufacturing companies to monitor quality standards and test system processes. Relevant industries include technology companies where they inspect, test, and analyze computers and electronics; automotive companies where they are part of different product development phases; energy companies where they develop test procedures and processes in collaboration with other manufacturers; and the aviation, space, and defense company where they maintain and oversee quality standards and ensuring legislation compliance.
Others include food & beverage and the medical & pharmaceutical industries.