Air is one of the most common means of transport, which has made traveling to different regions in the world in a considerably short duration possible. Airline companies have attendants on standby to ensure that passengers are safe and comfortable during flights. They are often referred to as cabin attendants and are mandated with several tasks guaranteeing flight success.
Today’s article will cover everything you need to know about this role. We look at the roles and responsibilities of flight attendants and the different requirements necessary for such a role. In case you are applying for a new job, we have resume examples and a FAQ section at the end to help you succeed. Let’s get started.
Flight Attendant Job Description
Flight attendants are friendly professionals mandated to ensure airplane passengers’ safety and comfort. They improve customer satisfaction, thus bringing in more business and maximizing revenue for the airline company. These professionals also conduct thorough safety checks, serve snacks and demonstrate safety routines.
Succeeding as a flight attendant requires excellent customer service, the ability to work different schedules, outstanding problem-solving skills, and excellent verbal and written communication skills. One must also be fluent in select languages for ease of communication.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensuring the general comfort and safety of passengers aboard a flight
- Offering any needed information, guidance, and assistance to aircraft passengers
- Conducting pre-flight safety checks in collaboration with other attendants to ensure the safety of those aboard
- Ensuring that aircraft is clean for improved customer satisfaction
- Preparing and serving snacks and beverages to passengers
- Preparing regular detailed reports regarding flight issues or trip incidences
- Offering first aid to passengers where necessary/ asking for help from relevant professionals aboard, e.g., doctors during emergencies
- Leading and reassuring passengers during emergencies
- Studying and understanding all the flight details before take-off
- Attending and/or participating in pre-flight briefings together with other cabin crew members
- Answering all trip-related questions from passengers, such as travel routes and arrival times
- Warmly welcoming passengers into the aircraft
- Verifying passenger tickets and directing them to their seats
- Offering relevant information and support to ensure the well-being and comfort of passengers
- Explaining safety and emergency measures to passengers, e.g., fastening of seatbelts, information regarding exit doors, and use of oxygen masks
- Offering assistance to the pilot to ensure successful and safe journeys
- Adhering to all aviation rules, standards, and regulations to ensure the safety and protection of everyone aboard the plane
- Attending to and offering special help to passengers with special needs, e.g., the disabled and the elderly
- Reporting any medical or safety issue on the flight to the supervisor
- Monitoring the plane for suspicious behavior
- Stepping in and de-escalating any disruptive behavior among the passengers
Flight Attendant Required Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of boarding, pre-flight safety checks, and verification procedures
- Extensive knowledge of different safety and emergency measures
- Knowledge of/ fluency in different languages( the more languages you can speak, the higher your chances of getting a job)
- Knowledge about various destinations( comes in handy when answering questions from passengers)
- Knowledge of different first aid procedures
- Knowledge of MS Office Program Suite, i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to travel for longer durations
- Ability to maintain a professional image
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to handle different situations
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to quickly respond to customer complaints
- Excellent organizational skills
- Passion for traveling
- Excellent stress management skills
- Crisis intervention and management skills
- Excellent teamwork skills and ability
- Excellent decision-making skills
- Attention to details
- Physical stamina (for opening and closing overhead bins as well as pushing and pulling service items)
Flight Attendant Education and Experience
- High School Diploma/ GED
- Relevant flight attendant/ aviation training
- Relevant cabin crew certifications
- Proven working experience as a flight attendant/ cabin crew member /customer care representative
- Solid customer service experience
- Emergency Response training
Flight Attendant Salary
Flight attendants’ salaries vary slightly from airline to airline. According to Glassdoor, these cabin crew members earn an average salary of $41,000. Their additional payments can also total $10,000+ annually. Horizon Air is among the highest-paying airlines, with an average salary of $54,000 for its flight attendants.
Flight Attendant CV Example 1
Physical address: 3750 Whisper Ridge, Cibolo, Texas, 75678
Email address: email@example.com
Phone number: (830) 678- 5697
The professional flight attendant and cabin crew member with 6+ years of experience ensuring the safety and comfort of 50,000+ passengers. A customer service expert with excellent communication and conflict management skills required to drive more business. A journey and tourism professional are fluent in 3 recognized languages and ready to collaborate with other crew members to allow passengers to enjoy safe and comfortable flights.
03/2019- 08/2022, Senior Flight Attendant, Rainbow Airlines, Austin, TX
- Supervised and directed 5 flight attendants, helping them properly dispense their duties
- Contributed to safe take-offs and landings by leading a 6-member flight attendant team in verifying federal regulations compliance among passengers
- Ensured effective communication with other flight attendants, keeping them motivated and productive
- Maintained 100% adherence to company policies and procedures in the performance of in-flight tasks
- Mentored three junior flight attendants on policies, procedures, and best practices, helping them exceed sale targets and quotas
- Used Microsoft Excel and Word to prepare and maintain accurate flight records to be submitted to the main office
- Supervised meal preparation for 100+ passengers during flights
- Listened to junior flight attendants’ issues and coordinated solution finding, keeping them productive and properly motivated at all times
- Ensured 100% compliance with all Federal Aviation Administration Regulations and company policies before, during, and after flights
- Received the Airlines Silver Star Medal for clocking 10,000 flight hours
- Participated in the major airline’s marketing campaign in 2020 that saw a 10% increase in annual profits
- Participated in the company-wide training and hiring of 30+ flight attendants
- Actively promoted company services and products, both as a flight attendant and its in-house brand ambassador
02/2016- 02/2019, Flight Attendant, Safe Travels Airlines, Cleveland, Ohio
- Attended and participated in pre-flight briefings focused on issues such as weather, service plans, and flight details
- Performed pre-flight safety checks to ensure 100% compliance with all safety guidelines and policies
- Regularly checked food and beverage supply before flights, ensuring enough provision for 100+ passengers
- Regularly interacted with passengers, answering 5+ flight-related issues such as aircraft details, service, time, delays, and weather
- Promptly delivered foods and beverages to 100+ customers per flight, ensuring that they were satisfied throughout the journey
- Used Microsoft Office Suite program to prepare accurate and detailed reports regarding flights
- Assisted 10+ company pilots on established procedures
- Participated in the marketing of 10+ airline products and services
03/2016- 01/2019, Travel Agent, Adventure Tour Company, San Antonio, Texas
- Advised 1000+ customers on the right travel destinations, achieving positive feedback from 98%
- Attended five travel seminars annually to stay updated with tourism and travel trends
- Exceeded the annual sales target by 70% in 2018, becoming the first travel agent in the company to achieve such a milestone
- Networked with 20+ tour operators to ensure the provision of excellent services and advice to company clients
- Conducted extensive research on new travel destinations and convinced the company to try them, boosting annual profitability by 40%
- Offered adequate information to travelers, i.e., maps, guides, events, and local customs, maximizing their experiences
- Retained 98% of clients through excellent customer service and sound advice on travel destinations and accommodation
- Maintained communication with clients, offering solutions to travel-related problems and complaints
- Promoted to a supervisor in 2019 after exceeding the previous year’s sales targets by 70%
- 04/2009- 08/2012, Bachelor of Arts in Tourism and Hospitality Management, Baylor University, Waco, Texas
- 03/2006- 08/2008, High School Diploma, San Antonio Senior High School, San Antonio, TX
- Inventory control
- First Aid
- Plane evacuation protocols
- Bridge maintenance
- Intercom operation
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Emergency Response
- Customer service
- Verbal and written communication
- Ability to work under pressure
- Stress management
- Conflict resolution
- Ability to work in team settings
03/2014, Travel and Tourism Professional, International Air Transport Organization
Flight Attendant CV Example 2
Physical address: 1303 Pecan Drive, Marble Falls, Texas, 76567
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: (830) 567- 4328
A professional flight attendant with nine years of experience in the hospitality industry and three working in commercial aircraft. A certified travel associate with excellent communication and customer service skills ready to ensure the safety and comfort of passengers during flights. Multilingual speaker with diverse interpersonal and people skills required to thrive in the aviation industry.
06/2016- 09/2009, Flight Attendant, Oceanview Airways, Houston, TX
- Mentored nine new flight attendants on company procedures and policies, helping them meet the set targets and standards
- Announced and demonstrated 5+ safety procedures to passengers during take-off and landing hence facilitating high safety levels
- Ensured 100% passenger compliance with safety regulations before, during, and after flights
- Maintained aviation-related subscriptions and regularly attended conferences to stay updated in 3 main areas, i.e., FAA Regulations, Company Policy, and Flight Attendant Manual
- Contributed to a calm and safe atmosphere by managing medical emergencies and passenger issues
- Sold and marketed products for five company partners during flights
- Ordered, inventoried, and supervised catering for 150+ trips
- Occasionally administered CPR in accordance with FAA and company regulations
08/2015- 04/2019, Travel Agent, Value Safaris, Brooklyn, New York
- Planned travel details such as accommodation and transportation for 1000+ clients
- Implemented a new filing system that improved client file maintenance efficiency by 20%
- Met 99% of all profit and sales targets, becoming the best performing travel agent in the organization
- Maintained 100% accurate statistical and financial records
- Worked closely with clients to accurately determine their travel needs before making the right recommendations
- Attended 6+ travel seminars yearly for professional development purposes
02/2013- 06/2015, Hotel Front Desk Agent, The Wave Luxury Hotels, Houston, TX
- Greeted and welcomed 50+ guests daily before assigning them rooms
- Spent 4 hours performing check-ins and check-out tasks daily
- Informed customers about the five different payment methods in advance and conducted card verification procedures
- Professionally respond to clients’ complaints in under 5 minutes
- Answered 50+ calls daily and provided sufficient information regarding the hotel, including available rooms, amenities, and rates
- Ensured that all rooms were tidy and well-maintained in liaison with 50 housekeeping staff
- 02/2008- 12/2012, Bachelor’s Degree in International Hospitality Management, Rice University, Houston, TX
- 05/2005- 08/2007, El Paso College Preparatory School, El Paso, TX
- First air
- Inventory control
- Emergency handling
- Intercom operation management
- Bridge maintenance
- Crew control
- Plane evacuation protocols
- Safety regulations compliance
- 08/17, Certified Travel Associate, Travel Institute
- 05/14, First Aid, CPR, and AED Instructor Certification, National.Safety Council
Flight Attendant Resume Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Which Certifications Apply to Flight Attendants?
Strive to obtain several credentials to validate your ability to maintain excellent customer service standards as a flight attendant. Here are good options to better your resume:
- Travel and Tourism Professional( TTP) Certification– Flight attendants spend thousands of hours tending to the needs of travelers. This certification offered by the International Air Transport Organization is an excellent option for international flight attendants as it provides the skills and knowledge needed to maximize career opportunities. It has to be renewed every two years.
- First Aid, CPR, and AED Instructor– This certification covers the latest skills and techniques needed to respond to emergencies. It is offered by the National Safety Council and does not require periodic renewal as opposed to the first.
- Certified Travel Associate– The Certified Travel Associate program by The Travel Institute covers areas such as the closure of sales, efficiency improvement, and fine-tuning of customer service skills, making it a good option for flight attendants. It requires yearly renewal
Ensure you acquire at least one certification to stay competitive in the job market.
2. How Do I Become a Flight Attendant?
Even though a degree in marketing, tourism, hospitality, public relations, or communications is preferable, you don’t need one to become a flight attendant. However, you must have a high school diploma or GED. Focus on gaining experience in job-related industries such as sales, hospitality, and customer service and building on your customer service and problem-solving skills in the process.
The following steps are to look for open flight attendant positions and prepare your resume, highlighting excellent customer care skills and the ability to work well under pressure. If you are lucky enough, you will be shortlisted for an interview and trained upon passing. Almost every airline has a 3-6 weeks training window where you learn how to handle emergencies, make announcements, and perform routine jobs. The last step is to get your FAA certificate of demonstrated proficiency from the Federal Aviation Administration and begin flying.
3. Which Are Some of the Keywords that I Must Include in My Resume?
Your resume should have the right number of keywords matching the job posting. These can be job-related skills, tools, and abilities targeted by employers. Here are some of the most common ones: customer service, hospitality, bilingual, emergency response, guest service, interpersonal skills, evacuation management, compliance, first aid, safety orientation, PA announcements, safety, customer satisfaction, comfort, reassuring, intercom, CPR, emergency procedures, bridge maintenance, inventory control, etc. Ensure that these keywords are well-spread throughout your resume.
Include several action words in your resume. To highlight your customer service skills, use words such as explained, mediated, resolved, assisted, aided, enhanced, presented, handled, helped, listened, resolved, enabled, and advocated. For teamwork, use words such as coached, motivated, suggested, joined, collaborated, coached, coordinated, discussed, inspired, involved, and participated.
4. Which Technical Skills Should I Include in My Resume?
Show the hiring manager that you have what it takes to succeed by mentioning as many job-specific skills as possible. However, review the job posting once more to identify the essential technical skills. Remember, your resume must match the job listing to increase your chances of being shortlisted.
Here are a few skills to include in your resume: excellent inventory control skills, knowledge and understanding of counter-terrorism measures, ability to administer first aid during emergencies, intercom operation and management skills, emergency procedures mastery, bridge maintenance, ability to administer CPR, and knowledge of plane evacuation protocols.
5. What Are Some of the Tips for Writing a Good Flight Attendant Resume?
Writing the perfect resume doesn’t have to be difficult. First, you need a well-written professional profile summarizing your work experience, Skillset, and professional achievements. Remember to include your biggest and most important accomplishments here. Second, you must have important soft skills such as problem-solving, customer service, interpersonal communication, and conflict resolution, as you will need them all the time.
Third, know how to format your resume. Your flight attendant resume should be divided into sections starting with your header, professional profile, work experience, education, skills, and certifications. You should also use the right font and font size, e.g., Times New Roman Font 12, and observe the right spacing. Lastly, proofread your resume and correct any errors that may have escaped you.