Are you a financial analyst or specialist in need of career advancement, or a better-paying position? Whatever the case, you need the best resume to apply for your next job. It should capture your skills, experiences, certifications, and education. It must also be ATS-friendly since most organizations use applicant tracking software to weed out applicants. The only question which remains is, do you know how to draft a good resume that will get you shortlisted? Worry not, because we have something for you.
This article discusses the roles and responsibilities of a finance manager and the requisite skills, experiences, and knowledge. We will also give you two well-written resumes to guide you in crafting a good CV for your upcoming applications. Let’s find out more about this position.
As the name implies, a finance manager is mandated to oversee the financial operations of an organization. They generally head the finance department where they are in charge of monitoring the company’s finances, producing results, and advising on different investment plans. Keep in mind that you will be working closely with the executive management to come up with and implement strategies aimed at long-term objectives’ achievements. Let’s now find out the roles and responsibilities of finance managers.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Conducting all financial management duties in the organization, such as financial data generation, compilation and submission of reports, industry trends analysis, and the company’s financial health assessment
- Ensure amicable resolution of financial issues between different parties by offering mediation services between the organization, shareholders, investors, employees, and investors
- Developing and, with the help of the top management, implementing strategic business plans founded on the company’s status and financial forecast analyses.
- Ensuring that the company’s financial status and forecasts are supervised
- Offering solid and well-researched advice to the executive management and company workers on decisions related to the company’s management
- Overseeing and supervising the development and operations of the finance department through policy creation and review, recruitment, training, budgeting, and regular financial procedures assessments.
- Supervising the drafting of quarterly and yearly account reconciliations
- Ensuring that the company is tax compliant
- Helping with cash flow forecasting
- Ensuring that the company is complying with the financial reporting standards
- Working closely with other departments to discuss the company’s plans and find a way forward
- Working closely with both internal and external editors to maintain appropriate monitoring of an entity’s finances
- Managing and supervising budget creation for the entire company
- Identifying cost-reduction opportunities by conducting in-depth reviews and evaluations.
- Offering sound advice on investment activities
- Analyzing and establishing the company’s performance vis-a-vis its business plans
- Analyzing the firm’s finances and developing both trends and projections
- By offering the right strategies, the firm should take to achieve its financial objectives.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Proficiency in using a range of finance software
- In-depth knowledge of statutory legislation and regulations
- Extensive knowledge of financial trends in the general market patterns and the company
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- In-depth understanding of accounting principles and financial statistics
- Excellent management skills
- Ability to monitor processes and ensure compliance with the appropriate financial processes
- Commercial and business awareness
- High numeracy skills
- Ability to influence others
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong attention to details
- An investigative nature or personality
- Extensive analysis skills
Experience and Education
- Proven experience as a financial manager or experience in the financial sector playing relevant roles such as financial analysis
- Experience using different finance software
- Bachelor of Science in Finance, Accounting, or Economics, and depending on an organization’s requirement, a master’s degree in the same
- Professional qualifications such as CPA/CFA (However, these are not necessary and only serve as a plus)
Financial management is highly lucrative. According to Glassdoor, these professionals earn an average of roughly $133,000 a year with senior managers earning close to $136,500 yearly. Lead financial managers earn close to $181,000 a year while junior finance managers make close to $120,000 yearly.
Finance Manager CV Example 1
Address: 193 Zetterberg Road, Philadelphia, Tennessee 37845
Email address: email@example.com
Phone number: (456) 225-4780
Certified and professional finance manager with 12 years of experience in financial analysis and management. An avid team player with high commercial and business awareness, ready to create an impact in the work environment. A hard worker with excellent communication skills and extensive knowledge of accounting principles and financial statistics. Go-getter and investigative by nature.
04/2019- 05/22, Finance Manager, Beverley Manufacturing, Illinois
- Managed the finance department of a $200,000,000 manufacturing firm
- Managed and worked closely with a team of 50 professionals
- Replaced the company’s outdated financial system by implementing an improved one that saw a 35% improvement in financial management
- Participated in the drafting of $100m + annual budgets
- Liaised with auditors to ensure regular monitoring of the company’s finances, ensuring that its financial health was always at 100%
- Worked closely with five departments, including the risk management department, for effective financial management
05/2016- 03/2019, Finance Manager, Belau Productions Inc, California
- Managed and supervised a team of 40 employees, including five financial analysts
- Oversaw the budgeting, accounting, finance, and foreign transaction processes of a $100,000,000 production firm
- Worked closely with the Chief Executive Officer and other senior managers to implement new strategic business plans and initiatives to mirror trends and for cost reduction purposes
- Created and maintained 100+ financial models for resource allocation, investment needs, forecasting, and the making of capital budgeting decisions
- Increased the operating profit margin of the company from 25% to 30% through implementing cost-reduction strategies in collaboration with the top management
- Created, revised, and documented accounting procedures and policies, thus improving the company’s financial management system and overall financial management efficiency by 20%
- Performed monthly, quarterly and annual forecasting to support revenue and margin expansion, helping the company stay ahead of its competitors
- Analyzed market trends and identify business opportunities that generated a total of $100,000,000 in revenue
- Awarded the best employee of the month for developing and implementing a new financial management system that improved management efficiency by 20%
- Ensured that the company met all its financial and legal requirements, including payment of the 8.8% corporate tax rate set by the state of California
- Trained 10+ employees, improving their performance by 15% in the first quarter
07/2013- 04- 2016, Finance Analyst, Brown and Johansen Ltd, Tennessee
- Worked closely with five other financial analysts to ensure that the company’s future performance was secure
- Worked closely with the accounting team in coming up with 100% accurate financial reports
- Established and enforced new cost analysis policies and procedures, improving the cost analysis process by 20%
- Analyzed material costs and recommended cheaper alternatives that were implemented by the operations manager, bringing down the original procurement costs by 30%
- Developed and implemented automated forecasting tools that improved productivity by 20%
- Created 1000+ forecasts and models using a strong financial analysis foundation
- Mentored a total of 12 new hires, increasing their performance by 15% in the first quarter through regular assessments
- Improved financial decision-making by 30% through detailed and skillful creation of financial models
- Created 100+ standard and ad-hoc reports, helping drive the company’s overall process improvement
- 09/16- 11/18, Masters in Business Administration, University of Wales, England
- 02/2009- 04/2013, Bachelor of Economics, Temple University, Philadelphia
- First Class Upper Honors
- 01/2004- 11/2008, Senior High School Diploma, Bright One’s Senior School, Philadelphia
- Mathematical proficiency
- Market analysis skills
- Forecasting skills
- Xero, QuickBooks, Oracle Financials Clouds proficiency
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to influence others
- Management skills
- Volunteer Programs
- 10/16, Disaster Management, Red Cross
09/2015, Certified Financial Analyst, CFA Institute
Finance Manager CV Example 2
Address: 280 Eagle Ridge Dr, Philadelphia, Tennessee 35846
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: (423) 382-4054
Hardworking and diligent financial manager with ten years of experience in financial analysis and management. Certified and professional worker with excellent planning, accounting, and communication skills. Committed, self-motivated, investigative finance expert ready to make a difference in the finance department and overall company environment.
06/2019- 07/22, Finance Manager, Johnson Group of Companies, Philadelphia
- Identified and implemented cost-reduction strategies that saw the company save $2 million from its annual budget
- Analyzed a potential purchase of a $1 billion piece of land for business expansion
- Coordinated and supervised a team of 30 employees
- Participated in team meetings with the executive directors at least once a week
- Oversaw a $100million annual budget
- Trained and mentored 20 employees, including financial analysts, ensuring that the business had a stable and productive workforce
- Awarded employee of the month thrice for excellent work
- Ensured that the company remained tax compliant, saving it from potential lawsuits of $10,000,000
- Conducted 99% accurate financial forecasts with the help of the organization’s financial analysts and the finance department
- Collaborated with the chief financial officer, ensuring that the company’s financial health stayed at 100%
- Participated in the recruitment of 28 employees in my three years of stay
- Implemented new strategies that improved billing efficiency by 10%
- Identified and implemented new forecasting systems, thus increasing the accuracy of financial forecasts by 90%
- Tracked financial performance against the allocated budget, preparing 30+ reports to senior management
- Participated in the implementation of strategic business plans and initiatives based on competitor reviews and client trends
- Improved capital budgeting decision-making by 30% by effective and regular maintained financial models
02/2016- 05/2019, Assistant Finance Manager, Regan’s Inc., Wisconsin
- Developed and implemented a new invoicing system together with the finance manager that increased billing efficiency by 30%
- Developed and implemented 10+ tools for efficient program and operational management of a $30m product line
- Performed variance analysis and created efficient financial models for revenue
- Directly managed and supervised seven employees, ensuring that they were productive at all times
- Willfully mentored five employees, increasing their performance by 25% in the first quarter
- Performed 100% financial data analysis, helping partners and managers to make wise business decisions
- Successfully obtained a $3,000,000 loan for a new expansion that later became successful
- Successfully negotiated an extension of the $3,000,000 long-term loan, giving the company an ample repayment time
- Ensured that the company remained tax reliant, obtaining $1,000,000 in government tax incentives
- Participated in the financial and strategic analyses of 20+ expansion plans
- Established and maintained strong relationships with different stakeholders, including shareholders, and financial institutions, improving communication efficiency by 20%
- Awarded employee of the month twice because of my dedication to the financial stability of the company
08/2013- 01/2016, Financial Analyst, Regan’s Inc., Philadelphia
- Conducted extensive analysis of development projects that raised cumulative revenue of $6.5 million
- Created 400+ financial reports on completed projects, identifying areas to be improved in future projects to reduce costs
- Generated 100% accurate financial statements, balance sheets, and cash flow charts
- Worked closely with five executive members, including the finance manager, to ensure that the company remained financial stable
- Participated in contract negotiations, saving the company a total of $1,000,000 in contract amounts
- Prepared weekly reports on labor and presented them to the top management
- Increased forecasting and intentions tracking by 40% through well-drafted revenue charts
- 06/2018- 10/2020, Masters in Business Administration, University of Stanford
- 04/2009- 06/2013, Finance, Harvard School of Business
- Second Class Upper Division Honors
- 03/2004- 10/2008, High School Diploma, James Memorial Senior School, Philadelphia
- Extensive numerical skills
- Excellent market analysis
- Proficiency in finance management software
- QuickBooks, Xero
- Customer service
- Time Management
- Conflict resolution
- Crisis management
10/14, CPA, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Finance Manager Resume Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What Should I Include in My Finance Manager Resume Header?
Your finance manager’s resume’s header should be as detailed as the rest of the resume. It normally captures your address, name, and contact information. Therefore, include your name and surname, which should be legible enough and in the right format; your address which should include your city and state if you are a US applicant and, unless restricted, a link to your online profile portfolio, and in this case, your LinkedIn profile. Do not forget to correctly write your email address, which most employers use when communicating any information regarding your application.
2. How Should I Write my Personal Profile/Resume Summary Section?
Your resume summary section will tell the interviewer about you, albeit shortly. It should therefore be prepared with utmost seriousness. Make sure you mention your years of experience and a professional achievement you are most proud of. You must also include your top 4 skills and proficiencies that are relevant to the job. Do not forget to use short and direct sentences to keep your resume summary captivating.
3. How Can I Write an Excellent Finance Manager Resume?
Drafting the best resume should not be a struggle when you know what’s needed. We advise you to settle on a layout that fits your career situation and provides the right information. Ensure you also list the soft and hard skills needed for the job. Furthermore, our resume summary must be perfect since it is the first step for hiring managers. Another thing you also need to consider when drafting your resume is an excellent header highlighting your contact information and address and a quantified work experience section.
4. How Can I Make My Finance Manager Resume More Readable?
A readable finance manager resume will get you shortlisted for an interview. There are several ways you can make it easy to scan. First, ensure that you use a standard font which in this case can be Calibri or Times New Roman. Your text should be left aligned and the experience section written in bullet points, as we did in our examples. However, while using bullets, ensure you don’t go above two lines. Do not also bold your texts unless necessary or when writing sections.
5. What Are Some of the Appropriate Skills for a Finance Manager?
There are several skills, both hard and soft, that you should include in your finance manager’s resume. Make sure you list strategic planning, talent coaching, market analysis, investment allocation, financial accounting, process improvement, teamworking, organizational, forecasting, staff leadership, and management skills which apply to your preferred job. Employers also want flexible people who can work under pressure, attributes that your resume should also capture. Make your skill section as detailed as possible, and be ready to showcase them once given a chance.
6. What Are Some of the Common Certifications for Finance Managers?
Almost every job has its certifications. Some common certifications in finance management are CPR, AED, CPA, Life and Health Insurance, Insurance License, Property and Casualty License, and Notary Public certifications. Even though these are not usually required as much, they act as a plus. Therefore, try to get at least two.
7. Where Should I Expect to Be Employed as A Finance Manager?
An organization out to maximize profits needs a finance manager, so your services will be needed in both the private and public sectors. You can work in a retail company, a charity, financial institution, insurance company, multinational corporation NHS trust, or even a manufacturing company. The list is endless.