Are you a human resource or public relations specialist who wants to venture into customer relationship management? Well, your main role will be optimizing the customer experience, which makes this a challenging and highly engaging role. However, the main question that needs to be answered is whether you know what this job entails in detail.
This article will examine the roles, responsibilities, experience, and education requirements needed for this position. We will also cover two resume examples that should give you a proper foundation for writing the best resume for your upcoming job application. Remember, a good resume needs to be as detailed as possible. First, let’s look at a customer relationship manager job description to help you understand what’s expected of you.
As the name suggests, the customer relationship manager is in charge of the resultant customer relationships after the sale of a product or completion of a product-related process. They ensure that customers are updated on different products and services to create an excellent relationship between the client and the company. Every business or corporation interested in keeping their customers close needs customer relationship managers. Let’s now see the roles and responsibilities of customer relationship managers.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensuring that the business builds and maintains positive and profitable relationships with its key customers
- Ensuring that customer complaints are resolved quickly and efficiently
- Using several CRM programs to conduct business reviews
- Understanding the business’ surrounding competition and developing the right strategies
- Understanding the primary needs of key customers and addressing them
- Acting as a link between key customers and the company
- Expanding the customer base of the company through upselling and cross-selling of products and services
- Overseeing the proper handling of all customer relationships by respective teams
- Updating customers on the company’s latest products in a bid to increase sales and profitability
- Meeting with different organizational managers for strategic planning
- Managing all customer-business communications by developing and distributing emails, letters, and different correspondences
- Collaborating with other high-level managers to ensure customer satisfaction
- Planning and managing all customer care strategies
- Working closely with the public relations department to assist the company in maintaining an excellent reputation
- Managing and supervising the staff under them
- Directly dealing with the company’s key clients
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in team settings
- Excellent presentation skills
- Outstanding negotiation skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Customer service skills
- Extensive product/service knowledge
- Knowledge of customer handling procedures/techniques
- Excellent organizational skills
- Conflict management skills
- Outstanding negotiation skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Persuasive speaking skills
- Effective listening skills
- Ability to take responsibility
- Excellent supervisory skills
- Excellent repeating skills
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office Suite applications
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Extensive knowledge of the company’s products and services
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude
- Focus on customer satisfaction
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in administration or any related field
- Proven experience in a customer relations-related job
- Experience working in team settings
- Extensive experience using Microsoft applications
- Proven experience in managing staff and operations
- Additional certifications (not required)
Customer relationship managers are paid quite well, owing to their roles and responsibilities in the workplace. Reputable sites such as Glassdoor estimate that an average customer relationship manager’s base pay is roughly $ 55,000 and their additional pay close to $28,000, bringing its yearly average at $83,000 or thereabout. Senior relationship managers make nearly $122,000 a year, which is lucrative. This is definitely a career worth getting into if you have some public relations or administration experience.
Customer Relationship Manager CV Example 1
Physical address: 17687 1st St #225 AT T, Guerneville, CA
Email address: email@example.com
Phone Number: (707) 234-7689
A professional and certified customer relationship expert with 10+ years of experience in customer relationship management. An avid team worker with excellent customer care and marketing skills, ready to inspire those around me and take my organization of engagement to the next level. A hard worker with high levels of professionalism and excellent negotiation skills.
06/2019- 08/ 2022, Customer Relationship Manager, Lowa Stores, Los Angeles, CA
- Managed proper relations with 100+ customers, ensuring that their issues were well attended to and queries answered
- Investigated and resolved customer issues expeditiously, raising customer satisfaction rate from 70% to 89%
- Arranged and executed monthly meetings with clients to respond to their queries and discover their preferences
- Prepared monthly and quarterly reports, ensuring that they were 100% accurate
- Collaborated with six executive officers to enhance customer satisfaction and meet customer relationship management goals and objectives
- Organized regular team-building sessions to help 15+ departmental members meet their productivity goals
- Regularly reassessed our customer relationship management strategies, making adjustments to ensure at least 99% customer satisfaction
- Trained 20+ customer relationship management department members on the company’s processes and customer relationship management best practices
- Managed and supervised 20+ junior employees and customer relationship officers, ensuring that they promptly responded to customer queries and concerns.
04/2016- 06/2019, Assistant Customer Relationship Manager, Lowa Stores, Los Angeles, CA
- Worked closely with the customer relationship manager and other officers to expeditiously respond to customer queries and increase the customer satisfaction rate from 60-70%
- Prepared monthly and quarterly reports on behalf of the customer relationship manager and made presentations to top executives
- Trained and mentored 10+ customer relationship officers on the company’s processes and customer relationship management best practices
- Directly managed and supervised seven junior employees, including customer relations officers, helping them meet their productivity goals
- Exceeded 30% of my productivity goals in my first year of service owing to hard work and dedication.
- Made regular follow-ups on customer queries to ensure that they were answered, increasing the company’s customer retention rate by 20%
03/16- 04/19, Customer Relations Officer, Barkley Productions, Los Angeles
- Worked closely with five departments, including sales, to ensure that customer queries were attended to
- Participated in product development and improvement initiatives by regularly passing along customers’ general feedback
- Asked open-ended questions to customers to understand their concerns and ensure they were attended to, increasing the company’s customer satisfaction rate by 20%
- Regularly investigated customer complaints and ensured expeditious resolution, earning the best employee of the year in 2018 due to improved and positive customer feedback
- Trained 15+ staff members on the company procedures and customer service best practices, averagely improving their performance by 20% in the first quarter
- 04/16- 05/18, Master’s degree in Business Administration, University of California, LA
- 04/2008- 05/ 2013, Bachelor’s of Business Management, University of California, Los Angeles
- 2nd Class Upper Division Honors
- 01/2006- 01/2008, High School Diploma, Brown Senior School, Los Angeles
- Excellent data management
- Lead management
- Outstanding project management
- Excellent task management
- Tech savviness
- Computer-related skills
- Time management
- Conflict resolution skills
Customer Relationship Manager CV Example 2
Physical address: 1635 Capitols Road, Santa Cruz, CA, 78902
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: (230) 789- 5678
A customer relationship manager with 9+ years of experience in customer service and marketing. A go-getter with excellent sales and marketing skills, ready to make a positive impact in the working place. An ardent team worker with vast customer relationship management skills ready for exploration
03/ 2019- 07/ 2022, Customer Relationship Manager, Brantford Group of Companies, Los Angeles, CA
- Investigated and resolved 20+ customer queries and complaints daily to ensure the superior customer experience
- Maintained regular and effective communication with 10+ team members for optimal customer relationship management
- Regularly asked open-ended questions to 100+ loyal customers to assess and respond to their needs
- Responded quickly to customer needs and queries, increasing customer satisfaction rate from 70% to 95%
- Developed relationships with our 100+ loyal and repeat customers, which improved customer retention rates
- Identified and addressed customer issues and concerns by holding weekly conference calls and monthly on-site meetings
- Prioritized customer requests to ensure the meeting of all last-minute requirements
- Managed and supervised 15 employees of the customer relationship department, ensuring that they were constantly motivated and well-equipped
- Met with 5+ executive leaders and other departmental heads once a month to address customer relationship management business needs
- Led a team of 15 customer relationship management department employees to conduct research for the proactive identification of trends and business insights as well as turning insights into actionable opportunities
- Developed an exhaustive customer relationship management training curriculum and instilled best practices in 30+ member classes
- Exceeded the required productivity goals by 50% in my first year in the workplace through collaboration and hard work
- Organized at least 3 team building sessions monthly to boost team morale and help members reach their productivity goals
- Developed strategies in collaboration with 5+ executives to help the organization meet its objectives regarding customer relationship management
03/2016- 03/ 2019, Customer Relations Officer, Regal Communications Services, Los Angeles, CA
- Received and directed 50+ phone calls daily, ensuring that customers received the needed help
- Built rapport and established an excellent relationship with customers, increasing the company’s customer retention rate from 60% to 85%
- Addressed customer needs and queries on time and later made regular follow-ups, increasing customer satisfaction rate from 70% to 90%
- Maximized sales opportunities in collaboration with the marketing department through up-selling products, services, and packages
- Effectively and regularly communicated with our 1000+ members customer base to deliver product knowledge and increase their understanding of the company’s products
- Attended to an average of 30 walk-in customers daily, ensuring that their queries were attended to in a timely fashion
- Mentored 10+ junior employees in my three years of engagement, leaving the company with a highly skilled junior employee base
- Monitored 10+ competitors and made recommendations based on observations for company enhancement
- Made 30+ follow-up calls daily to customers to ensure that they were well attended to and satisfied.
- Regularly networkers with the surrounding community to identify prospective customers, increasing the company’s customer base by 10%
- Trained 15+ staff members based on my knowledge of the company and customer service best practices to help them respond better to customer complaints
01/ 2013- 02/ 2016, Customer Care Representative, Delaware Stores, Los Angeles
- Responded promptly to customer inquiries, increasing their satisfaction rates from 70% to 95%
- Acknowledged and resolved 17+ customer complaints daily, contributing to a satisfied customer base
- Communicated and coordinated with 10+ colleagues regularly and as required to ensure that our customers were properly attended to at all times
- Trained and mentored 10+ junior customer service representatives in my final year of engagement on the company’s operations and customer service best practices
- Regularly processed orders, applications, requests and forms, ensuring that all customer care-related documents were up to date.
- Obtained feedback from customers through weekly calls on the efficiency of the customer service process and made regular adjustments
- Offered professional customer support through 5+ mediums e g, phone calls, emails and in-person inquiries
- 03/ 2008- 12/ 2012, Bachelor of Science in Communication and Public Relations, University of California, Berkeley
- First Class Honors
- 01/2006- 01/ 2008, High School Diploma, Brantford Senior School, Los Angeles
- Tech savviness
- Excellent computer skills
- Outstanding data entry
- Project management
- Task management
- Time management
- Customer service
- Phone etiquette
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to thrive in team settings
Customer Relationship Manager Resume Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Which Keywords Should I Include in My Customer Relationship Manager Resume?
There are certain keywords that you should include in your customer or client relationship manager resume. You can write them in your resume’s work experience and skills sections. They include collaboration, proactivity, compliance, facilitation, account management, CRM, customer service, customer relations, documentation, technical, detail-oriented, relationship management, communication skills, customer retention, innovation, cross-selling, auto delivery, sales experience, project management, accountability and scheduling among many others. These keywords will enrichen your resume, increasing the chances of it being identified by hiring managers and interviewers.
2. Which Technical Skills Should I Have in My Customer Relationship Manager Resume?
Some of the technical skills to have in your customer relationship manager resume include computer skills such as typing, data entry, and basic computer processes; CRM skills which are all the proficiencies and qualifications needed in a customer relationship manager job; customer relation skills, excellent marketing skills, outstanding sales skills, extensive research skills, and excellent analytical skills which come in handy in problem-solving. We urge you to ensure that your CRM skills are well-highlighted in your resume and, where possible, have an additional skills section in your resume. You should also use the skills required in the job posting to show the interviewer that you are an excellent match for the role. A well-written skill section can give you an upper hand over another applicant.
3. How Can I Improve My CRM Skills?
There are five main ways of improving your customer relationship management skills. One of the surest ways is earning a CRM certification, offered by several organizations which train and certify customer relations managers. You can also take a virtual or an in-person class on leadership, public speaking, and required computer software. Additionally, networking with professionals comes in handy. This can be achieved by joining known professional associations and building valuable relationships. Be as keen as possible to identify other professional development programs available in your professional networks.
The last two means of improving your CRM skills are studying the industry and asking for feedback. When studying the industry, ensure you are updated on the trends and developments. You can also consider reviewing different professional publications and participating in relevant conferences. In asking for feedback, ensure that you discuss your strengths and weaknesses with your supervisors, who are more experienced and will advise you on areas that require your improvement.
4. What Are Some of the Leadership Skills That I Should Showcase in My Role as a Customer Relationship Manager?
You ought to know that this is a supervisory role; therefore, you will be required to strategically and effectively lead teams. Some of the leadership skills you should be prepared to showcase include setting realistic and achievable goals, creating the right work environment, setting a positive example, creating an open environment for employees, obtaining feedback from the team, being accessible to team members, etc., enhancing communication in the organization.
5. How Can I Demonstrate My Customer Relationship Management Skills in the Workplace?
Luckily for you, there are several ways of demonstrating customer relationship skills in the workplace. First, you should encourage open communication by creating the right environment and increasing access by team members. Only then will you encourage people to come forward and tell you about their problems and possible solutions. Other means of demonstrating your CRM skills include scheduling regular reviews in regular meetings, dressing appropriately to prevent a professional image in the workplace, properly reviewing your work, maintaining high confidence levels, and fostering innovation.
6. What Are Some of the Required Soft Skills in Customer Relationship Management?
Some of the soft skills required in customer relationship management include outstanding communication skills, active listening skills, ability to think creatively, ability to thrive in team settings, excellent networking skills, high degrees of positivity, excellent time management skills, excellent problem-solving skills, flexibility, ability to resolve conflicts expeditiously and excellent work ethics among many more. These skills foster good relationships in team settings.