Chemical engineers are among the most respected professionals worldwide owing to the technicality of their jobs. These individuals skillfully develop and design chemical manufacturing processes, making them important employees in different manufacturing companies. They are expected to apply multi-discipline principles, including Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology, to tackle different chemical-related products.
Regardless of your experience level, you will need a good resume when applying for a chemical engineering job. Remember, this is the only way the interviewer will know about your working experience, education, skill-set, and certifications, which must be present to be shortlisted. In this article, we look at the roles, responsibilities, and requirements for chemical engineers, two resume examples and some of the frequently asked questions in this job. Let’s get started with the job description.
As the name suggests, a chemical engineer’s main job is designing and developing different chemical manufacturing processes. These individuals use different scientific principles, i.e., Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology principles to provide solutions to problems related to chemicals, drugs, fuels, etc. As a chemical engineer, you should expect to work in refineries, laboratories, plants, and offices. Most jobs are also full-time positions, which should come as good news. Let’s now look at the roles and responsibilities around this role.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Using different inter-disciplinary principles, including scientific, mathematical, and engineering principles, to improve processes and find solutions to different problems
- Compiling and analyzing data using computers and related systems
- Helping with the establishment of budgets and timelines
- Ensuring that the company’s goals are achieved through the design, proposal, implementation, and review of plans
- Conducting extensive research on production processes
- Researching and finding ways of achieving and increasing the efficiency and quality of processes
- Regularly traveling to work sites and locations to identify project needs and participate in process improvement
- Writing and presenting technical reports to management of team members
- Researching on costs and presenting cost analysis reports to the company’s management
- Keeping up to date with current and emerging manufacturing processes
- Ensuring that staff working with dangerous materials are protected by developing and implementing different safety procedures
- Ensuring that manufacturing processes minimize waste and improve finished product quality.
- Optimizing production and reducing costs through designing, planning, and implementing manufacturing equipment layout.
- Instructing and developing training programs for different manufacturers
- Traveling to manufacturing facilities to troubleshoot problems
- Limiting risks where heavy machinery and hazardous chemicals are in use
- Creating and testing new tools needed in production
- Making improvements and refining all chemical manufacturing methods
- Collaborating with other engineers in manufacturing projects
- Offering daily operations’ technical support
- Ensuring that the plant’s operations are flawless by developing process modification requests
- Developing cost-effective operating procedures
- Managing manufacturing processes, including assembling and production flow
Required Knowledge and Skills
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of how to handle chemicals safely
- In-depth understanding of chemical components, mixtures, and solutions
- Knowledge and familiarity with statistical analysis
- Knowledge of chemical principles
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well in team settings
- Outstanding planning skills
- Excellent Math skills
- Outstanding analytical skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Product development skills
- Ability to perform root cause analysis
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering or a relevant field from an accredited institution
- Professional Engineering license (Usually given after passing the Fundamental of Engineering exams)
- Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering for
- senior/management positions
- Internship experience for entry positions.
- Proven experience as a chemical engineer for roles with many responsibilities
Owing to the technicality of their roles, it is only right that chemical engineers get compensated well, which is the case. These professionals enjoy a base pay of roughly $84,000 yearly and additional pay totaling $29,000, bringing their overall pay to around $113,000. Senior chemical engineers make up to $140,000 a year or more.
Chemical Engineer CV Example 1
Physical address: 23 Rolling Oaks Rd ##D, Sugar Grove, Illinois, 67568
Email address: Jonathanluck23@gmail.com
Phone number: (650) 745- 8768
Professional chemical engineer with 10+ years of experience working in various manufacturing and processing companies. An expert with an in-depth understanding of chemical mixtures, solutions, and components ready to contribute to the growth of chemical plants. A risk taker and self-motivated individual willing to work with various experts to achieve the company’s goals and commitments.
03/2019- 04/2022, Senior Chemical Engineer, Brown Solutions, Chicago Illinois
- Improved equipment specifications and work procedures, achieving a 25% decrease in equipment malfunctions
- Channeled new assembly processes into production leading to a 40% increase in the company’s throughput capability
- Trained different members of the production team, including line operators and junior chemical engineers, leading to a 20% increase in process yield
- Followed all the safety and health regulations as well as process requirements for zero accident reports and achievement of maximum efficiency
- Gradually reduced the company’s batch change by 10% by introducing new cleaning procedures
- Trained and taught production teams best practices and different related concepts, leading to a 25% increase in production
- Ensured that assembly characteristics matched 100% of customer requirements for increased customer satisfaction
- Helped the company conquer a new market by setting up a production line in Asia that brought in $25 million+ sales every year
- Awarded the best chemical engineer in 2021 for leading the company’s expansion to Asia
- Reduced the production cost of the company by 25% by reviewing some of the most used production formulas
- Ensured that the company complied with 100% of all state and federal regulations by conducting regular chemical safe reviews
01/2016- 02/2009, Chemical Engineer, Hillsgrove Group of Manufacturing Companies, Bakersfield, CA
- Improved the expertise and production levels of 25+ staff members by revising and enhancing their training
- Managed and supervised a team of 10+ junior technicians, ensuring that they were 100% productive through constant motivation and assessment
- Conducted laboratory experimentation and documentation on all products for quality control monitoring
- Thoroughly and constantly analyzed data and offered recommendations, leading to a 40% increase in product quality
- Saved production costs by 30% by implementing changes and improvements in the company’s production lines
- Monitored all the work in progress to ascertain that 100% of all customer quotas were fulfilled
- Ensured that all 50+ employees maintained the right product quality standards through published visual product standards
- Commissioned, supervised, and validates a 40% increase in process batch sizes
- Resolved 10% of quality concerns by researching and introducing a new purification step in the company
- Trained the production team on the related best practices and procedures, leading to a 30% increase in production
- Awarded the next employee of the month twice because of my dedication to the betterment of the quality of products and production standards
- Managed to reduce injection molding setup time by 15% by using lean principles
04/2013- 12- 2015, Britam Organics, Chemical Engineer, Los Angeles, CA
- Led a team to create an improved technique of by-products retrieval, saving the entity $45,000 a year
- Reduced waste output by 20% through a newly developed waste-stream treatment process
- Maintained 60+ laboratory equipment, including computerized systems, ensuring that they were 100% functional
- Wrote daily, weekly, and monthly technical papers and reports based on test results, ensuring that they were 100% accurate
- Ensured 100% compliance with laboratory safety procedures and standards, ensuring 0 accidents
- 02/2008- 02/2013, Bachelor of Engineering in Chemical Engineering, Tsinghua University, China
- 02/2005- 04/2007, High School Diploma, Saints College Prep School, Sugar Grove, Illinois
- Project Management
- Process design
- Resource management
- Engineering principles awareness
- Verbal and written communication
- Ability to work in team settings
- Critical thinking
- Time management
- Stress management
10/2014, Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
Chemical Engineer CV Example 2
Physical address: 45 Suburban Dr, Murphysboro, Illinois (IL), 60678
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: (656) 789- 5896
A qualified chemical engineer with 8+ years of experience working in pharmaceutical and manufacturing companies. An excellent researcher with an in-depth understanding of chemical components and mastery of engineering principles. A dedicated worker and avid team member willing to put her extensive process design skills into action and benefit any organization of engagement.
06/19- 09/2022, Senior Chemical Engineer, Bureau Pharmaceuticals, Santa Monica, CA
- Developed and implemented 10+ new designs to ensure optimal delivery of chemicals
- Managed a team of 12+ chemical specialists and contractors for the successful delivery of 20+ projects
- Sought and implemented new technologies aimed at better chemical treatment, increasing production efficiency by 30%
- Met with at least five project stakeholders weekly for progress assessment and the making of necessary adjustments
- Made proactive adjustments to operations, improving program success by 35%
- Taught 30+ staff members on productivity strategies and policies, improving overall productivity and employee performance by 40%
- Ensured that all 30+ staff members observed the set organizational standards and procedures when planning work and addressed any arising safety concern
- Investigated and resolved security and safety incidences, saving the company $200,000+ yearly in workers’ compensation
- Trained 10+ junior engineers in safety ND reliability techniques and procedures, reducing safety incidences by 30%
02/2016- 04/2019, Chemical Engineer, Hells Gate Factories, Bakersfield, CA
- Scheduled regular maintenance of the factory equipment, cutting down maintenance expenditure by 35%
- Collaborated with 5+ professionals, including process engineers, in project execution and system maintenance for the entire factory
- Improved product quality by 25% through investigation of the functions and properties of all chemical compounds
- Ensured that operations complied with safety regulations, reducing safety incidences by 60%
- Coached 20 chemical specialists and chemists on best practices and policies, reducing defects by 25% as a result
- Accurately designed two production processes, increasing throughput by 25%
- Cut down 20 hours of labor a week by designing and implementing changeover procedures
- Mentored five junior chemical engineers, ensuring that they were updated on chemical safety regulations and production standards
- Listened to customer reviews and feedback and developed formulas matching their preferences, increasing customer satisfaction by 35%
02/2013- 02/2016, Junior Chemical Engineer, Delamy Engineering Solutions, San Diego
- Worked under the supervision of the chief chemical engineer and five experienced chemists for process and quality improvement
- Helped identify five capital projects requiring extra funding and further helped in making grant applications
- Participated in 50+ research projects to ensure that delivered products met the required standards and for quality monitoring purposes
- Conducted extensive research to keep updated with new technologies and shared my knowledge with three other junior chemical engineers
- Oversaw the conversion of new materials into finished products while ensuring that the entire process had a minimal environmental impact
- Awarded the next junior employee of the year in 2014 for my dedication to environmental conservation by researching production means with the least environmental impact
- 01/2008- 12/2012, Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 01/2006- 11/2007, High School Diploma, Bravery Senior High School, Chicago
- Process design
- Project Management
- Basic design
- Stress management
- Decision making
- Critical thinking
- Time management
- Written and verbal communication
08/12, Certified Chemical Engineer Certification, American Institute of Chemists
Chemical Engineer Resume Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Which Keywords Should I Include in My Chemical Engineer Resume?
You should prepare a keyword-rich resume to easily capture the hiring manager’s attention or that of the applicant tracking system. All these keywords should be related to your profession and be able to sell your skills or achievements. Therefore, remember to include the following: optimization, process engineering, continuous improvement, AutoCAD, research, manufacturing, MATLAB, project, development, science, optimization, Aspen, engineering, refinery, upstream operations, engineering management, gas, LNG, natural gas, upstream, energy exploration, polymers, petrochemical, chemical process design, molecular modeling, advanced modeling, catalysts, industrial engineering, Microsoft Access, and project management among other related keywords. However, do not overuse these keywords. You don’t have to squeeze all of them into your resume.
2. Which Technical Skills Should I Include in My Resume?
The hiring manager must go through your skill section, which should have both soft and technical skills. Technical Skills are quite special and specific since they are required to execute job-related tasks and are often exercised using different tools and programs. Some of the technical skills for chemical engineers that you can include in your resume include excellent project management skills, outstanding process design skills, strong Mathematical/Numeric skills, excellent design skills, resource management skills, in-depth understanding of engineering principles, excellent analytical skills, strong IT skills and ability to use different programs and systems.
Some of these programs and software used by chemical engineers include LabVIEW for acquiring and controlling data, CAD software for chemical processes, product design, and process exploration, which comes in handy in monitoring and troubleshooting processes. You should also master Aspen HYSYS, which is used for process simulation.
4. What Basic Rules Should I Have in Mind When Writing My Resume?
There are several things that you should know when writing your resume. First, a good resume should be easy to scan or read through. Therefore, left align your sentences and texts, use a standard font and size and use bullet points in your work experience section. Make sure you also have some white space on your pages for easier information scanning. Remember to be concise and include only relevant and important information in your resume. It is easier to find important details in a concise resume.
Lastly, always proofread your resume to weed out any errors and ensure that it is professional. Check for spelling mistakes, punctuation, tense, and grammar issues. You can also let someone else proofread your resume.
5. Which are the Must-Have Soft Skills in a Chemical Engineer Resume?
Chemical engineers, like other professionals, require certain personal attributes to effectively interact with others in their workplaces. Also known as common skills, soft skills are required in all professions. Some of the must-have soft skills in your chemical engineering resume included leadership, excellent public speaking, ability to think critically, effective communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to solve problems effectively, ability to work and thrive in team settings, professional writing skills, high degrees of emotional intelligence, openness to feedback, active listening and people skills.
Remember, these skills are just as important as the technical ones and shouldn’t be sidelined or overlooked. It’s impossible to succeed in any profession without having, regardless of your technical skills, if you don’t have technical skills.
6. Which Certifications Should I Pursue as a Chemical Engineer?
Almost every profession in the world has certifications worth pursuing. The right one will offer you additional skills and expertise that will come in handy in your job. Luckily, there are several certifications that you can pursue as a chemical engineer. You can get a Certified Chemical Engineer Certification, popularly known as CCE and offered by the American Institute of Chemists; Engineer in Training Certification granted after passing the Engineer in Training exam, Six Sigma Green Belt, which teaches the Lean Six Sigma methodology for project leadership and improvements or specialist in chemistry certification, shortened as SC(ASCP). All in all, just ensure that you advance your knowledge and improve on your skill-set to increase your chances of landing the job of your choice.