Account executives play important roles in organizations as they work directly with customers and learn more about their goals before implementing the right strategies. These professionals ensure that clients’ expectations and general quotas are met, contributing to the profitability and overall success of the organization. In some companies, they oversee teams that ensure the timely delivery of products and services.
Today’s article aims to help you land an account executive role by looking at one of the most important documents in job applications- the resume. A good resume should tell the interviewer who you are, your education, work experience, skills, and certifications, all required for hiring decision-making. The first part of the article delves deeper into this role by looking at the roles and responsibilities and the accompanying requirements. Let’s get started!
Account Executive Job Description
Account executives work in the public relations department of financial, pharmaceutical, and related companies as the point of contact between customers and internal teams. These excellent communicators generate sales opportunities, plan, and coordinate account activities, and regularly report on account statuses.
Owing to the above-mentioned responsibilities, an account executive requires excellent organizational and communication skills to succeed. A high intellectual curiosity is also necessary to identify hidden growth potential and gaps.
Account Executive Roles and Responsibilities
- Networking with industry experts and professionals to discover new sales opportunities
- Forming long-term partnerships after networking with different clients and professionals
- Drafting properly researched and detailed business plans for goal attainment
- Safely negotiating agreements and keeping records of both data and sales
- Understanding and meeting client needs by being in regular contact with them
- Assessing clients’ complaints and providing solutions
- Ensuring that issues are resolved to customer satisfaction in collaboration with other staff members
- Effectively managing the sales cycle, which generally begins with client identification and ends at deal sealing
- Presenting products and company’s offerings to prospective buyers
- Regularly attending trade shows and hosting successful customer events
- Developing ideas worthy of delivering sales results by collaborating with key decision makers.
- Offering quality after-sales support to bring in more Custer’s and inspire customer loyalty
- Regularly communicating with clients and obtaining information about budgets, timelines, and scope of projects
- Regularly meeting with other account executives to discuss goals, progress, and outcomes of different projects
- Using a web-based CRM system to report and record all sales activities
- Participating in the development of timelines and budgets in the company of engagement
- Effectively coordinating teams to meet project goals and milestones
- Following up on prospects through different channels such as email and phone
- Drafting and presenting bids and proposals to prospective clients
- Organizing virtual demonstrations to woe prospects
- Regularly cold calling businesses to prospect new sales
- Ensuring that customers receive excellent service by regularly organizing client meetings
- Building strategies to implement projects, thus enhancing the company’s performance
- Communicating requirements, deadlines, and client goals to employers
Account Executive Required Knowledge and Skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Working knowledge of customer relationship management software
- Comprehensive knowledge of company products and services as well as industry trends
- Readiness to learn systems
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent computer skills
- In-depth knowledge of sales, market research, and negotiation strategies
- Strong business acumen
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Excellent time-management skills
- High levels of enthusiasm
- Ability to build lasting relationships
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in team settings
- Ability to multitask effectively
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Account management skills
- Sales skills
- Budget management skills
Account Executive Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, or a related field
- Proven experience in an administrative role that requires direct reporting to management
- Experience working on team settings
- Extensive experience building on existing relationships
- Experience using customer relationship management software
- Experience overseeing expenses and budgets
- Experience developing filing systems and internal processes
Account Executive Salary
According to Glassdoor, the average base pay for account executives is roughly $62,000, which is white commendable. On top of that, their additional payments can total $31,000+, bringing their average pay to $93,000+. Senior account executives earn more, with some companies parting with $110,000+ yearly in salaries. It is also worth noting that lead account executives’ salary is estimated at $89,000 or thereabout.
Account Executive CV Example 1
Physical address: 15400 Chestnut Street, Westminster, CA, 96545
Email address: email@example.com
Excellent account management professional with 9+ years of experience working with 500+ clients and industry professionals. An adaptable and friendly account expert with excellent communication and research skills, ready to positively impact the company’s marketing and customer service department. A self-motivated go-getter and industry professional capable of building effective strategies for successful project implementation.
05/2019- 08/2022, Senior Account Executive, Lowa Accounting Solutions, San Diego, CA
- Communicated with 30+ clients regularly and gathered accurate information about project guidelines, scopes, and budgets
- Organized at least three meetings with clients, maintaining regular communications for excellent customer service
- Negotiated new terms and conditions with vendors, saving the company $40,000+ annually from purchases
- Collaborated with 5+ key decision makers, including the marketing director, to identify opportunities that brought in $1,000,000 in revenues for the company
- Set and tracked ten main key performance indicators to increase overall sales performance and the productivity of the overall sales team
- Built, mentored, and trained a successful 15-person demand generation team for the company
- Actively participated in the closure of 10 international deals, earning the company $1.2M in profits
- Ranked 3rd in revenue attainment and general customer acquisition in the entire company and 1st in the San Diego office
- Developed and maintained long-lasting relationships with 50+ long-term clients
- Managed, supervised, and oversaw a 15-person team of account executives, ensuring that all the set sales objectives were met within the provided time limits
03/2016- 04/2019, Account Executive, River Side Solutions, Dallas, Texas
- Successfully contributed to business development by creating accurate forecasts and proposals and thoroughly analyzing both customer and market behavior
- Worked closely with five senior executives and the marketing director as part of the Business Development Advisory Council
- Implemented successful territory management initiatives that drove revenue growth by 35%
- Identified rich opportunities for improved revenue growth potential by performing an extensive analysis of the local marketplace
- Successfully developed and managed 60+ new accounts
- Organized and led five e-commerce campaigns in close collaboration with the marketing team, significantly increasing customer loyalty and dedication
- Coached and mentored ten sales representatives in close collaboration with the sales and marketing team, increasing product knowledge and productivity
- Identified and satisfied customer needs, thus increasing the company’s revenues by $500,000+
- Exercised effective communication and excellent service, thus retaining 99% of clients, agents, and providers
09/2012- 11/2015, Junior Account Executive, Oswald Accounting Solutions, Findlay, Ohio
- Skillfully prepared materials and presentations for quarterly and annual client meetings using MS PowerPoint and Excel programs
- Acquired 20 new clients for the company through detailed and well-prepared sales presentations and proposals
- Collaborated with C-level and junior decision makers within the Ohio department to develop excellent business relationships with existing clients
- Closely worked with 20+ clients to understand the business objectives and identify critical selling points for excellent business relationships
- Used Salesforce to track sales opportunities, close deals, and oversee the general sales pipeline
- Emerged the top junior account executive twice in a row out of 15 participants
- Attended 12 conferences and workshops for skill development
- 02/2008- 05/2012, Bachelor of Business, The University of Findlay’s College of Business, Findlay, Ohio
- 02/2005- 05/2007, Middleton Senior High School, San Diego, CA
- Budget management
- Customer relationship management
- Business development
- Cold calling
- Verbal and written communication
- Decision making
- 05/15, Certified Management Accountant Certification
- 06/17, Certified Sales Professional Certification
Account Executive CV Example 2
Physical address: 3045 Overland Avenue Culver City, CA, 98765
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number: (350) 405-6785
Certified account executive with 10+ years of experience in account and customer relationship management. Hardworking professional with in-depth knowledge of sales, marketing, and negotiation techniques ready to improve the company’s customer relationship management and overall services. A ready learner with extensive management and supervision skills required for account management success.
05/2019- 09/2022, Account Executive, Behold Group of Investments, Miami, Florida
- Accurately determining product and service shortcomings by regularly communicating with and obtaining feedback from customers
- Convinced 50+ potential customers to obtain the company’s services and products through well-drafted sales proposals
- Retained 99% of the existing customers through effective account management and excellent customer service
- Streamlined five business processes by implementing successful continuous improvement initiatives
- Actively used Salesforce for successful pipeline and contact management, meeting key administrative requirements
- Followed up on inbound leads via phone and email, obtaining a success rate of 75%
- Ensured excellent customer service for existing clients by organizing at least one weekly meeting with them
- Trained five junior account executives on how to use Salesforce to record all sales undertakings
- Worked closely with six key decision makers to identify opportunities and develop successful ideas for improved sales results
- Prospected new sales using a variety of techniques, including col calling of businesses and clients
- Negotiated new terms and conditions with existing clients, earning the company $200,000 in revenues in the first year of service
- Named the best employee of the year in 2021
03/2016- 04/2019, Sales Analyst, Bright Companies, Hawi, Hawaii
- Used three sales forecasting software, i.e., Pipedrive, InsightSquared, and Anaplan, to accurately determine future trends, increasing the company’s annual profitability by 50%
- Used collected data to prepare 100% sales evaluation reports to be prepared with the sales and marketing teams
- Conducted extensive research into 5+ competitive markets and successfully designed and implemented strategies in collaboration with the sales and marketing team to stay ahead of them
- Mentored five junior sales professionals on purchase trend determination and big data assessment for sales forecasting purchases
- Developed and implemented sales strategies that increased the organization’s sales productivity by 30%
- Awarded the best sales analyst of the year in 2017 for accurate sales forecasting and contribution to revenue growth
07/2012- 11/2015, Executive Assistant, Kassam Holdings, Rochester, New York
- Successfully managed a $300,000 annual local and international travel budget for five senior company executives
- Implemented a new filing system, reducing filing errors by 70%
- Trained and mentored six administrative assistants on office procedures, equipment maintenance, and general task performance
- Answered 60+ phone calls daily and took accurate messages or routed them to the right recipients
- Successfully performed 5+ daily basic office duties, including supplies and records management
- Awarded the best administrative assistant of the year in 2014
- 02/2008- 04/2012, Bachelor of Science in Business, Information and Analytics, Columbia Business School, New York
- 03/2005- 04/2007, Bentley College Prep School, Culver City, CA
- Business development
- Extensive product knowledge
- Customer Relationship Management
- Cold calling
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Project management
- Account management
- Social media
06/17, International Accredited Business Accountant Certification, Accreditation Council for Accountancy
Account Executive Resume Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Which Certifications Should I Pursue a Richer Resume?
The right certifications will help you remain competitive in a highly skilled market. More often than not, you need something extra on top of your academic qualifications to capture the hiring manager’s attention. These act as proof or validation of knowledge, elevating you in the job market. Here are a few:
- Certified Sales Professional (CSP), which covers consultative selling, business creation, prospecting, goal setting, time management, and territory management.
- Professional Certified Marketer (PCM) program, offered by the American Marketing Association, enhances your marketing skills and highlights your achievements in the marketing world
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA), an advanced certification that proves the existence of adequate accounting and financial management skills needed for business performance
- International Accredited Business Accountant Certification (IABA) by the Accreditation Council for Accountancy, which proves adequate theoretical and practical knowledge in professionals.
Other certifications worth considering include Accreditation in Public Relations, Accredited Business Communicator, Certified Blockchain & Digital Marketing Professional, Program Management Professional, Customer Service Representative Certification and Certified International Trade Professional, among others.
2. Which Technical Skills Should I Include in My Resume?
Technical skills refer to the specific job-related skills and expertise required for task execution. A good resume should have many of these skills owing to their mandatory nature. Here are a few that you can include for better results: Excellent sales skills, excellent budgeting skills, strong account management skills, ability to plan effectively, excellent project management skills, outstanding forecasting skills, familiarity with social media/ excellent social media skills, in-depth understanding of proficiency in the Microsoft Suite program, e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Excel, excellent presentation skills, excellent marketing skills, and cold calling.
Other Skills worth including in your resume include outstanding advertising skills, program management (not mandatory), customer service skills, customer relationship management skills, client management skills, proficiency in Salesforce, business development skills, and product knowledge.
3. Which Are the Best Keywords for an Account Executive Resume?
Try optimizing your resume by using the right keywords as much as possible. These are often job-related terms, skills, and tools to be captured in your skill and work experience sections to tell the interviewer that you understand what the job entails. Here are a few: sales experience, sales support, B2B sales, public relations, customer relationship management, account management, inside sales, deal closing, recruiting, sales and marketing, social media, scheduling, collaboration, account management, MS Office, relationship management, forecasting, lead generation, mentoring, digital, vendor management, project management, and analysis.
Additional keywords include SaaS, client, advertising, quota, businesses, territory, prospecting, platform, revenue, B2B, solution, etc. Make sure that these keywords are spaced well to give your resume an original and not generic look.
4. How Can I Become an Account Executive?
The first step to becoming an account executive and landing your dream job is getting the right academic qualification, which in this case can be a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Sales, Marketing or any relevant field. Once you have the degree, focus on getting adequate experience. Get a client-facing role to explore the practical aspects of the job. Another great idea will be looking for an internship position if you aren’t lucky enough to get an entry-level job.
As your career progresses, remember to pursue the right certifications and licenses. Also, focus on creating a proven track record of scaling accounts and closing deals, which every account executive needs.
5. How Can I Improve My Account Management Skills?
Work on improving your account management skills for a thriving career. First, prioritize relationship building by maintaining a clear sense of the big picture, then work on becoming an excellent liaison, given that you serve as the point of contact between clients and business. Other proven means of building account management skills include: being proactive, understanding your clients, being highly reliable, staying future-oriented, having clear action plans, working closely with others, using communication to build trust, and being collaborative.
Also, enroll in as many programs as possible and get the right certifications to hone your account management skills.